Your best roadside tool find

I had to make 2 runs to shrevport yesterday, when I was getting close to my destination I saw a caster sticking up from the grass on the side of the road. I stopped on my way out and found this attached to the caster.
roadside 001.jpg
The casters are very heavyduty!
roadside 002.jpg
On my second run to the same place, about 50 yards down the street I saw this!
roadside 003.jpg
Unfortunatly, I was out of opperation hours after that trip; no telling what I would have found on the third trip!

roadside 001.jpg roadside 002.jpg roadside 003.jpg

I should say my weirest road find. Yes a left front flat with a brand new Snap on plyers stuck in my
tire - how in hell could ever happen. I still can not figure that one out.

Yes I have seen that before, when I was 16-17 I worked at a gas station on the main highway here in Oregon, found all kinds of stuff in tires! Channel Locks, Small Pipe Wrench, Screwdrives Etc, 99% of the time they would always be in the rear tires! I think when you are humming down the road at 50-60 mph, the front tire hits these items, and it bounces up, and then wham just like a bullet, it goes into the rear tire! Pretty rare this was on your front tire! Just my 2 cents worth!

Bob in Oregon

Yes I have seen that before, when I was 16-17 I worked at a gas station on the main highway here in Oregon, found all kinds of stuff in tires! Channel Locks, Small Pipe Wrench, Screwdrives Etc, 99% of the time they would always be in the rear tires! I think when you are humming down the road at 50-60 mph, the front tire hits these items, and it bounces up, and then wham just like a bullet, it goes into the rear tire! Pretty rare this was on your front tire! Just my 2 cents worth!

Bob in Oregon

Bob's not kidding. When I worked in a garage (some 30+ years ago) the strangest thing I pulled out of a flat was a set of keys. About 5 or 6 keys on a keyring inside the tire.

Go figure,

-Ron

I've found the odd screwdriver or pair of pliers, but the best was when a tie rod end let go in my wife's '69 Bonneville... the nut was gone, what happened to the cotter pin I don't know. Laying in the street near the car was an old nail just the right size to go through the cotter pin hole, even without the nut it got us home.

Does it count if you found it in the engin bay of a car you have bought?

if so then i found a very usefull 2 foot long philips screwdriver and a friend of mine found a 3 foot pry bar in his , maybe its a uk mechanic thing of hideing the biggest tool you can find in the most improbable place in a car :)

Stuart

Can you post a picture of the whistle and any information on it I would like to make one.

I found a log chain 24 foot welded to one end was a 2 inch diameter axle, which later became my 1812 Napoleon cannon. Two big tarps, I gave one away in used the other at the range to catch my Brass. Many times it just wasn't safe to stop along the highway.:tiphat:

My father in law found an almost brand new lawnmower at the side of the road, put it in his pickup and went home. I wonder if the guy that owned it was just getting more gas from the back yard shed.

I was using a post hole auger to put in a gate post a week ago, the auger hit something at about 8" deep and wouldn't go deeper. Hand dug down to see what it was and found this 10" adjustable wrench.

DSCF2085.JPG

From the handle design I know it's old. Crescent made this design from 1930 to 1957. In 58 they changed the recess in the handle so that it went all the way to the thumb wheel. Soaked it in some Kroil for a week and tapped on it with a hammer to break the rust up. Now it works perfect.

DSCF2085.JPG

from the 70's a 10" adjustable wrench (Istill use it every day at work) last year a 10" c clamp. last month my son found a stil chain saw.

Back