Your lathes & benches

I mounted my 6x18 on top of the wooden cabinet I got with my mill a few years earlier. I added a modified and bent drip tray from the local auto parts on top, and some 2x6's on the bottom with leveling feet to give it more stability.

IMG_20190303_171051.jpg

That's pretty cool @FanMan. I've seen people use drip pans as a chip pan but never seen anyone use one to make a backsplash. Nice job. I too had my old mini lathe sitting on a drip pan but later changed to a pet cage pan.

I'd post pics but my setup won't help David any with ideas & not nearly as great as all the setups already posted.

Here's what I did for my Grizzly 9x20 (since sold).

A69B6EAC-66A1-44A9-ABEA-961964875FAB.jpeg

Wow, very nice hman; I bet it was tough to get rid of it after all that work. The knee action caster plates are very clever. It looks like you even had a place for a roll of toilet paper. I assume that is to be used after those “near misses” we all have from time to time.

DavidR8, this is what I did with mine:

AE7D0106-3275-4B66-84C9-B58BBEA6099D.jpeg

@Titanium Knurler So you've been learning how to time travel from ThisOldTony & Clickspring? Looks like you got your own flux capacitor! Mine blew up & I tried to buy a new one from O'Reilly's but they've been out of stock. :D

I know I know, looks like a doggy/cat door but at first glance....;)

20200131_192247.jpgScreenshot_20190620-181210.jpg

Wow, you’re good Will. The Delorean quit running so I installed it’s flux capacitor in my shop. I just throw a banana peel in it occasionally and it runs the shop for weeks-1.2 Gigawatts goes a long way if you use sharp tools.

Actually, we have a miniature Dachshund(don’t laugh) that likes to hang out with me at the shop. I installe a door that senses the magnet on her collar and opens automatically as she walks up the little ramp I made for her. She can then go in and out as she likes. The white stuff is snow.

Last edited:
Wow, you’re good. The Delorean quite running so I installed it in my shop. I just throw a banana peel in it occasionally and it runs the shop for weeks-1.2 Gigawatts goes a long way if you use sharp tools.

Actually, we have a miniature Dachshund(don’t laugh) that likes to hang out with me at the shop. I installed an automatic door that senses the magnet on her collar and opens automatically as she walks up the little ramp I made for her. She can then go in and out as she likes. The white stuff is snow.

Funny, I actually like dachshunds. 2 of my friends have em. I've been wanting one of my own for a very long time now.

20140909_201910.jpg

Fanman -

It must have taken me a couple of minutes until my eyes/brain were able to figure out that your backsplash is actually flat. I somehow got a strong optical illusion that made it look dished ... about 6" deep.

Anyway, GREAT idea! I've used oil drip pans under a couple mills, but never thought of using one for a backsplash! Very nicely done.

Back