Zero Experience + Atlas QC42 = ?

It could be an optical illusion but it does look like the spindle belt isn't in a plane parallel to the large countershaft pulley.

Wow, that thing is clean! Did you restore that? Do you have a thread on it? If so, I'd like to give it a read.

I was already wanting to mount it on top of my bench, which I've seen you have done as well. Only issue is I believe that when I remove the legs, the mounting points are different heights?
Hi, did I read that right?!! You don’t want the legs ? If you would like to sell them , l would like to buy . Thanks , Mark .

You guys are correct, the belt is misaligned. This is exactly how I bought it and I have no clue what the previous owner had in mind. I'm still looking for a motor and belts so once I get those ordered I should start to make progress.

Mark, if I decide to sell the legs, I will let you know. Space is tight in my garage so I'm trying to save some room by mounting it across to Vidmar cabinets. They are level and heavy duty and should do the trick.

Thanks again for the help guys.

If you are going to bridge between two existing cabinets, don't let the lathe be the only thing connecting them. I would go with a minimum of two layers of 3/4" plywood glued together and large enough to cover the entire tops of the two.

Currently the cabinets have a 1 1/2" thick piece of butcher block across the top. Do you think that'll work?

If it is one piece, yes. I meant to add "or a solid piece of hardwood" to my previous post. And I strongly suggest keeping the drip pan with it.

Also, the QC42 is the same as the TH42 except for the addition of the GB and the length of the leadscrew.

The site has a downloads section available to Donors. There you will find parts manuals on all of the Atlas built lathes, mills and shapers. And quite a few cleaned up factory drawings on parts that are no long available from Clausing (which still carries quite a few repair parts for the Atlas machines. The one book that you really should acquire a hard copy of is Atlas Manual of Lathe Operations, 16th edition dated 1954 or 1955. Available with a gray Atlas front cover or a black Craftsman one. The two badge versions vary slightly in Chapter 7 Threading.

Back