2013 POTD Thread Archive

It wasent in my shop it was on my shop. Last Saturday afternoon I started the preperation for hanging some OSB on the inside of my walls. I started with the west wall as this will be where the new Monarch will sit. I knew I had some termite damage, just not that much! I relaced some of the studs, but the toeplate was so bad it wouldent hold a nail. A split second decision resulted in a mad dash to Lowes, to buy enough stuff to redo the entire wall. My project went on into the early hours of the morning (3am) and took all afternoon on Sunday after church, but I have a brand new wall inside and out.new wall 001.jpgnew wall 004.jpgnew wall 003.jpgSome of the before pictures. The clap board siding was in bad shape, fortunatly the damage only went up about five feet.new wall 005.jpgthe new outsidenew wall 006.jpgnew wall 007.jpgnew wall 008.jpgThe new and insulated insidenew wall 009.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

By the way I removed the dirt and plants that had grown up around the entire shop, this should help deter the termites in the future. Yes im going to spray also.

new wall 001.jpg new wall 004.jpg new wall 003.jpg new wall 005.jpg new wall 006.jpg new wall 007.jpg new wall 008.jpg new wall 009.jpg

Yea my 1982 CX500C. Got it 3 years ago to fix up (as I had never ridden one before) and after getting it running well, took it for a spin, ended up in a ditch with a 6" leg gash, and decided I was going to keep it and get my license lol. Love it, helps me clear my head and keep my sanity :) Currently fining up a GL100 78 (which takes up half my shop space lol

I had a couple of those bikes a few years ago. I still have a lot of parts. If you need any let me know.

A machinist friend of mine gave me a 1" indexable toolholder with a couple of boxes with threading inserts. Since 1" was to large to fit my toolholder I milled it down to 3/4". When it camr time to replace the insert I could not find a allen wrench to fit the head of the screw. I tried inch and metric hex keys but none would fit. So I pulled out my Yuasa indexer (I found at an auction a couple of years ago); It was a good time to learn how to use it. I turned a short piece of drill rod on the lathe then put the small rod into the Yuasa indexer, it worked really slick though it did take me three tries to get a good fit into the head of the screw. A good day:)

Finished wiring and testing a two stage PID controller, and modified an upright freezer to accept a 6 gallon brew pale. Had to move a shelf with the cooling lines running through it to obtain clearance. Set the system up for 9.5 celsius and monitored it for over/under shoot and temp accuracy. So far .5 degree celsius resolution and a 2 degree spread from off to on in heat and cool modes. The switches for my control panel arrived from Thailand, so assembly of that component begins today.
Bob

- - - Updated - - -

It wasent in my shop it was on my shop. Last Saturday afternoon I started the preperation for hanging some OSB on the inside of my walls. I started with the west wall as this will be where the new Monarch will sit. I knew I had some termite damage, just not that much! I relaced some of the studs, but the toeplate was so bad it wouldent hold a nail. A split second decision resulted in a mad dash to Lowes, to buy enough stuff to redo the entire wall. My project went on into the early hours of the morning (3am) and took all afternoon on Sunday after church, but I have a brand new wall inside and out.View attachment 52830View attachment 52831View attachment 52832Some of the before pictures. The clap board siding was in bad shape, fortunatly the damage only went up about five feet.View attachment 52833the new outsideView attachment 52834View attachment 52835View attachment 52836The new and insulated insideView attachment 52837

- - - Updated - - -

By the way I removed the dirt and plants that had grown up around the entire shop, this should help deter the termites in the future. Yes im going to spray also.
Had an "opportunity to do that on my pump shed 2 years ago. Ended up replacing everything but the roof trusses and roofing. Did one wall at a time with two toe jacks supporting a side while the entire wall got replaced inside and out too. That was a fun weekend just like yours...
Bob

Today I'll be turning and cutting stock for plugs to mount bayonets...as table legs =)

My first cut my first cut with my Power Hacksaw

my first cut with my Power Hacksaw designed by myfordboy.

2013-04-16 16.09.54.jpg 2013-04-16 16.07.56.jpg

Well, thanks to some post I saw where others had been creative in mounting stuff to their band saw, I made a front plate and stiffened the legs. Legs are floppy and the bolts loosen when I move it

DSCF6836.JPG

A couple of braces and its rock solid now, and the crappy wheels even work lol

DSCF6837.JPG

Decided to make a front work plate, so cut some 3/8" plate

DSCF6838.JPG

Made a mount and milled a channel to sit on the band saws front lip

DSCF6839.JPG

Band saw had a 1/2" hole with setscrew, so decided to use it. Milled a 1/2" slot in the plate, cut a 1/2" rod and clamped the mount it place, then welded the rod in. Left it there and welded the plate to it. Had to grind down the bead since I need it flat, did half but needed the big grinder to get the half shown not done.

DSCF6840.JPG
Unit is done, and found the right allan key

DSCF6841.JPG

Works great, but want to add some support for the left side, so mounted a block to the Band saw and tapered the top to match the saw bed.

DSCF6842.JPG

Decided to leave the block bolted but not weld it to the plate, as I only need to loosen the set screw and the assembly comes right off.

DSCF6843.JPG

Shown pushed in just a bit

DSCF6844.JPG

Shown fully seated

DSCF6845.JPG

Decided to make sure it was solid .... and the 90+ lb steel block caused no problems at all :) now I can cut it and make a proper QCTP for the lathe to replace the 4 way and eliminate my current block overhang.

DSCF6846.JPG

Love this forum, lots of great ideas :)

DSCF6846.JPG DSCF6836.JPG DSCF6837.JPG DSCF6838.JPG DSCF6839.JPG DSCF6840.JPG DSCF6841.JPG DSCF6842.JPG DSCF6843.JPG DSCF6844.JPG DSCF6845.JPG

Yea my 1982 CX500C. Got it 3 years ago to fix up (as I had never ridden one before) and after getting it running well, took it for a spin, ended up in a ditch with a 6" leg gash, and decided I was going to keep it and get my license lol. Love it, helps me clear my head and keep my sanity :) Currently fining up a GL100 78 (which takes up half my shop space lol

Stern,
not trying to preach, but find your closest MSF Motorcycle Saftey Course. You will save the cost of the course in hospital bills! And it just might save your life. (I am an instructor!)

Stern,
not trying to preach, but find your closest MSF Motorcycle Saftey Course. You will save the cost of the course in hospital bills! And it just might save your life. (I am an instructor!)

And a lot of insurance companies give a huge discount for taking the course and some even reimburse the expense of the course. Definately a worthwhile course. I made my wife take it before I let her ride her Honda VT-600 cruiser. No since taking a chance on getting hurt when you can learn in a safer environment...

Bob

Back