2013 POTD Thread Archive

I have almost completed my version of a Digital Height Gage.It is based on several builds, but the basis is an unmodified Digital Vernier Caliper. I wanted to be able to remove the Digital Vernier and use it on its own.
This is the chunk of Cast Iron I was having issues with getting under the skin.
My build is based on a combination of versions by Frank McLean,Paul Pierce, and David Graves. It’s not quite finished as I don’t have the material to make the scribe point. My local Fastenal supposedly has 1/8” drill rod. I will post more pictures when it’s complete.
Pics here: http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/Digital%20Height%20Gage
I’ve noticed that handling the cast iron base still makes myf ingers and anything else that touches it black. What finishes do you folks put on machined cast iron?
Chuck

My air fixture for my tool grinder had some issues, looked like it may have been repaired (Poorly) before. The cam lever/lock that changed the angle from primary to secondary was not working properly. After investigating why I found the screw they put in for a pin was hitting the cam. I took 2 allen head cap screws and made 2 pins, one screwed in from each side. Works great now, Still need to make a lever.

grinding project (1).JPG grinding project (3).JPG grinding project (4).JPG

Finished up the preasure plates tonight. The one that is shown floats on the drive shaft and had some burs and groves in it, so I cleaned it up. Had to make something to hold the plate as I cant fit the 5/8 rod threw the head stock, another reason I need a larger machine. Primitive yes, but worked.
CLUTCH REPAIR 008.jpgCLUTCH REPAIR 009.jpgCLUTCH REPAIR 010.jpgCLUTCH REPAIR 011.jpgCLUTCH REPAIR 012.jpg

CLUTCH REPAIR 008.jpg CLUTCH REPAIR 009.jpg CLUTCH REPAIR 010.jpg CLUTCH REPAIR 011.jpg CLUTCH REPAIR 012.jpg

welded the coupling pins on 2 bogies which will be used as "trucks" for a steam powered crane (not real steam, just faux). These bogies I previously welded together with sheet steel and drawer rails from a dresser. The wheels were turned on my SB Lathe as were the axles; they're attached to aluminum journal with micro fastener brass nuts/bolts.

A lot more assembly required.

Also started welding my 20-ton shop press but it's just at infancy stage

DSC05409.jpg DSC05410.jpg

Make sure you post some pics of your press project, as I plan on making one and I find the idea's I get from others really help me avoid a lot of stupid mistakes (which i do a lot lol)

My recent eBay purchases are taking up a lot of room so I needed to come up with better way to store cutters not completely done and I know it's not really machining but it is related And it hangs nicely in my toolbox door which is normally wasted space 9anezuvu.jpg

My recent eBay purchases are taking up a lot of room so I needed to come up with better way to store cutters not completely done and I know it's not really machining but it is related And it hangs nicely in my toolbox door which is normally wasted space 9anezuvu.jpg

WHOH that's sweet!

Bernie

welded the coupling pins on 2 bogies which will be used as "trucks" for a steam powered crane (not real steam, just faux). These bogies I previously welded together with sheet steel and drawer rails from a dresser. The wheels were turned on my SB Lathe as were the axles; they're attached to aluminum journal with micro fastener brass nuts/bolts.

A lot more assembly required.

Also started welding my 20-ton shop press but it's just at infancy stage

Amazed how the members here have so many cool hobbies!!! So you have a scale RR in your backyard??

Last Friday I received an ER32 collet chuck and set of collets for my Big Dog Metal Works (Real Bull) 7x14 mini lathe. It mounted directly to the backplate on the spindle, no adapter needed. I should be able to use this most of the time instead of a my 4-jaw chuck, which'll make my life a bit easier, especially when working with very small diameter stock.

ER32-Collet-Chuck.jpg ER32-collets.jpg

ER32-Collet-Chuck.jpg ER32-collets.jpg

Back