2013 POTD Thread Archive

Cool ER32 collet chuck. I wonder if these work with a South Bend 9A ? Also, has anyone ever made one themselves for a south bend with detailed instructions and pictures?. They look tricky to make for a beginner who only has a lathe milling attachment.

When working small parts, I'm forced to dial in on my 4-jaw; a collet chuck with collets would save a lot of time

SE18,

This is the chuck that I bought. I don't know if it'll fit a South Bend but I'm sure that there are other collet chucks that will.

Here's a pic of what I bolted my chuck to:

spindle.jpg

After a move like that, I'm going to start calling you "Mr. Cheeseking"!

Ditto here Mr CHEESEKING
Must say U got Guts ..........."where there's a will .............
This business is not for the fein hearted
May U enjoy Your shop and equipment for a long time
aRM

welded the coupling pins on 2 bogies which will be used as "trucks" for a steam powered crane (not real steam, just faux). These bogies I previously welded together with sheet steel and drawer rails from a dresser. The wheels were turned on my SB Lathe as were the axles; they're attached to aluminum journal with micro fastener brass nuts/bolts.

A lot more assembly required.

Also started welding my 20-ton shop press but it's just at infancy stage

You have your own train! Words fail me at how cool that is.

Jeff

Tonight I made a cleaning rod to use with my percussion revolvers. Most commercially available pistol rods are a little short for cleaning the 8" barrel on a Remington or Rogers & Spencer revolver, so I made this one with a 12" length of 360 brass rod. The end is drilled and tapped 8-32 to accept common brushes and jags. It's pinned into a handled made from 6061 aluminum that's a little longer than my hand. It was a fun little project on my lathe that I'll get a lot of use out of.

pistol-cleaning-rod.jpg

pistol-cleaning-rod.jpg

Early morning here; yesterday I made and installed a new hinge for my sons glasses from a #12 SS screw, worked on our new propane powered forge and picked up a new to me anvil and a nice set of blacksmith tongs.

Today I get my new to me lathe delivered, a AI Hembrug DR1S 4000rpm with all the fixings including hardened ways, 3 jaw, 4 jaw and collet setup, have several projects waiting for this new tool also should get the propane pressure regulator in, so I can test the burner for the forge.

Schilpr
What will U be using Your propane Forge for ???
All the best with Your A1 HEMBRUG - U lucky Dude !!
Have read and seen so much on these fine perfect little machines.
Had the opportunity to buy one locally. It has no Collets, has a Brushed painted Grey finish, called "re-furbished" by The Seller, the original 3 Phase motor has been removed and replaced with a 220 Volt VSD which works quite well.
All in all the finish and condition of the machine has depressed us to abstain from Buying it. We looked forward to doing a deal on it but it requires too much time and work.
Besides, we don't have the equipment to move it in and out of our shop to do a decent re-spray, nor do we have the know how or expertise to strip and replace all the parts.
Would dearly have loved to own one of these as they suit us perfectly as our second smaller Machine.
How is the condition of Your machine ???
Post some pics of Your Forge and this lovely LATHE.
Would love to see Your new little Toy. U have such a fine choice there. Even the ERGO is such a precise and well made, good sized machine.
All the best
aRM

welded the coupling pins on 2 bogies which will be used as "trucks" for a steam powered crane (not real steam, just faux). These bogies I previously welded together with sheet steel and drawer rails from a dresser. The wheels were turned on my SB Lathe as were the axles; they're attached to aluminum journal with micro fastener brass nuts/bolts.

A lot more assembly required.

Also started welding my 20-ton shop press but it's just at infancy stage

I'm just wondering if you or anybody has heard of a "Plymouth" engine"? There is one nearby I'm thinking its somekind of yard jockey. And sure enough it does have a Chrysler flathead industrial engine. Its the size of like a Mack six wheeler looks like any loco engine only scaled down. Pretty sure it says
Cape Cod rail on it. just curious

show us the drum! is it staved, what wood? I have always wanted to make on.
Here's what I did today. I Finally got a rotary table and decent vice for my Benchmaster so I was able to modify the little hardware parts for the snare drums that I make. Before and after picture. The little wood bits Pink Ivorywood on the left are Bubinga and Maple on the right and I made those, too. I'm more of a wood worker but have always wanted to get into metalworking.

I'm just wondering if you or anybody has heard of a "Plymouth" engine"? There is one nearby I'm thinking its somekind of yard jockey. And sure enough it does have a Chrysler flathead industrial engine. Its the size of like a Mack six wheeler looks like any loco engine only scaled down. Pretty sure it says
Cape Cod rail on it. just curious

Plymouths were used in many places and for many gauges. I built a plymouth based on Maine 2' gauge and a boxcar from 2' gauge a while back and installed my own R/C system using a motor boat ESC to control speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cqniqtTmPg

jscott, wish you had some photos!

Here's a utility cover for my Marquette welder. I don't know what it's made out of but it was a bear to cut the hole using HSS cutoff mounted on a faceplate on my 9A lathe. First time ever using the faceplate

Also, I found a cool game someone had thrown out in the street. Wife and I spent weekend playing it. Motor works and under the fooze is the air thing, don't know what it's called. I was hoping something was broken on it so I could use my newly acquired machining skills to fix it but nothing was broke :) the things people throw away!!!!

It useed to be easy finding scrap metal that people chuck but every trash day, pickup trucks cruise our neighborhood scavanging it to take to the recycle for cash; it's a big business in my area

DSC05420.jpg DSC05425.jpg

Back