2013 POTD Thread Archive

Greg,
That is a nice job on the rebuild of the Heavy 10.
Doing some woodturning also, I'm curious what kind of tools you are making, will they hold inserts or will you machine them for scrapers?
I have made some square and round insert type tools, come in real handy for roughing work.

Bailey
I make several styles of tools for wood turners and they all use carbide inserts. Next thing I will do to these shafts is machine the pockets for the inserts and drill and tap them. I usually use 304 stainless for these but this cold rolled was given to me at work, saved it from the scrap bin. This batch is 3/8" square stock, I also make them in 1/2" full size tool. This stuff is high carbon 10** something steel.

I put a dro On my jet 15 mill. I just need to make a place to mount the displays.

001.JPG002.JPG004.JPG007.JPG008.JPG

001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG

A buddy dropped his bike cycle and broke the neck of his mirror. So of course he brought it to me to fix. LOL

100_8919.JPG100_8920.JPG100_8921.JPG100_8922.JPG

After looking at it I knew just gluing it would not work. So I decided to drill a hole lengthwise in both parts and run a bolt through it. Luckily the parts are a X in cross section. I used some sections of aluminum angle to hold in the four jaw. It worked but if they were harder than plastic I don't think it would have. It was also hard because the parts were very short. Took a bit of fiddling to get them centered.

100_8923.JPG100_8924.JPG

Worked like a charm. It is probably stronger than original.

Jeff

100_8919.JPG 100_8920.JPG 100_8921.JPG 100_8922.JPG 100_8923.JPG 100_8924.JPG

I reelly like thesoft jaws. Nice great idea
A buddy dropped his bike cycle and broke the neck of his mirror. So of course he brought it to me to fix. LOL

View attachment 63104View attachment 63105View attachment 63106View attachment 63107

After looking at it I knew just gluing it would not work. So I decided to drill a hole lengthwise in both parts and run a bolt through it. Luckily the parts are a X in cross section. I used some sections of aluminum angle to hold in the four jaw. It worked but if they were harder than plastic I don't think it would have. It was also hard because the parts were very short. Took a bit of fiddling to get them centered.

View attachment 63108View attachment 63109

Worked like a charm. It is probably stronger than original.

Jeff

Spent most of the day turning square stock round to be used as blanks for wood turning chisels that I make. Then I started to machine some pockets for the carbide inserts that they use. I think I made about 40 blanks, 1 of everything for me and the rest I will sell. I gotta tell you, it is so much fun for me to use my old south bend heavy 10 and burke mill to make stuff, it's just very relaxing for me turning handles and watching parts take shape. This particular batch of blanks is cold rolled 10** something high carbon steel. I also make these in stainless when I can get it. I get most of my metals out of the scrap bins at work and some of the shops I vist as a truck driver. Here's some pics, I gotta long way to go on these, lathe work is don, then milling, then drilling and tapping for the screw, then metal finishing. I spent the whole day in my shop today and had a blast, I love the smell of cutting oil and old machines. This is just one of many styles I will be making.
turned-chisels-001.jpgturned-chisels-002.jpgturned-chisels-003.jpgturned-chisels-004.jpgturned-chisels-005.jpg

turned-chisels-001.jpg turned-chisels-002.jpg turned-chisels-003.jpg turned-chisels-004.jpg turned-chisels-005.jpg

Hello everyone
I haven't posted in a while so today I decided to take a few pics and show what I'm up to.
I have a 1978 Honda Express, that for years I would not ride because it was too slow. When it was new it's advertised top speed was 25mph and it is 49cc/50cc.
So I took all the original parts off (and stored them away) and started buying and making what I needed to get some speed. first I added a expansion chamber exhaust and a little bigger carb.... 35mph. then I added a 70cc cylinder kit and the speed went to 40mph. but the engine was turning 14,000 rpm no good. so I found an 1981 2 speed Honda express II engine same problem 14,000 at 40 but it gets there a lot faster. so I disassembled the transmission and found there was room to change the primary chain sprocket, great idea but Honda uses a proprietary chain size, I had to make my own sprocket and I changed from 30tooth to 27tooth. hit 47mph but motor was getting hot. So then I converted a Puch head to fit but still fighting lean mixture heating. re-jet carb, no jets available from china lol I knew the price was too good.
I ordered a new flat slide 24mm oko carb and jet kit, be here Monday.
so since 46mm 70cc was the biggest cylinder available for this scooter I decided to make my own cylinder. I had a bad aluminum cylinder to bore oversize. I found a sleeve for a 1957 Honda Benly motorcycle that would work and A 50mm piston for a stihl ms440 chainsaw. the parts arrived Saturday afternoon and I started working today. first I built a boring jig for the cylinder and bored out the old liner to fit the oversize one. then I mapped out the port layout for the timing I wanted and milled the ports into the sleeve/liner. I went with a .004 fit and locktite permanent bearing mount. I heated the cylinder and the liner slid right in with the press. I knurled the top of the liner for a lock fit.
my ports matched up well and I have a lot of port matching to do yet because mine are larger and A different design/shape. my new piston Is half the weight and 8mm shorter so I'm stroking the engine and decking off 3.6mm from the top of the cylinder.
I know this is crazy, but I think of it this way, imaging trying to "double" the top speed of your car. It used to do 120 now it does 240.
that's what i'm doing, doubling the top speed. from 25mph to 50mph+.
I now have 4 0f these motors 3 to play with and the original packed away If I restore the bike to original it's 90% complete.
these are the pics of the work I did today and a few pics of making a carb part a while back.
thanks for viewing
steve

DSCF0924.JPG DSCF0925.JPG DSCF0926.JPG DSCF0927.JPG DSCF0929.JPG DSCF0930.JPG DSCF0931.JPG DSCF0932.JPG DSCF0933.JPG DSCF0936.JPG DSCF0938.JPG DSCF0939.JPG DSCF0942.JPG DSCF0943.JPG DSCF0944.JPG DSCF0945.JPG DSCF0946.JPG DSCF0947.JPG DSCF0948.JPG DSCF0949.JPG DSCF0950.JPG DSCF0951.JPG DSCF0952.JPG DSCF0953.JPG DSCF0954.JPG

Back