2013 POTD Thread Archive

Very cool stuff indeed, in the early 80's I was a moped mechanic and we did all kinds of stuff to get the speed up as well. That's got to be one of the most moded and coolest express's i've see. I liked the express when they made them and would like to find a nice one today, most are pretty trashed by now. Keep us posted on your progress.

Couple of things that I did for the first time today.

I have an old Kurt D40 vise and always wanted to get a swivel base for it but did not want to spend over $400 for Kurt swivel. So I got one of off ebay for $47. Unfortunately swivel pin was too big for the vise. Initially I thought about turning down the pin on the lathe, but my lathe was too small (Grizzly G0602). So I got to use for the first time a boring head which also came from ebay.

Now I have to make some bolts for it.

I don't have coax indicator so I used Tom's edge finder method for locating center of the hole.

IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1363.JPG

Couple of things that I did for the first time today.

I have an old Kurt D40 vise and always wanted to get a swivel base for it but did not want to spend over $400 for Kurt swivel. So I got one of off ebay for $47. Unfortunately swivel pin was too big for the vise. Initially I thought about turning down the pin on the lathe, but my lathe was too small (Grizzly G0602). So I got to use for the first time a boring head which also came from ebay.

Now I have to make some bolts for it.

I don't have coax indicator so I used Tom's edge finder method for locating center of the hole.

Nice job.
That swivel sure looks small compared to mine.
They are dirty and need cleaning up I haven't used them since I got them about 10 years ago.

SwivelBases.jpg

They fit this 6" vise that I cleaned up a bit back.

6inchVise.jpg

SwivelBases.jpg

6inchVise.jpg

Actually did this a few days ago but was being a bit of a jerk about posting but I got over it.
Tangential tool holder and grinding fixture. Both work great. Benny dropped his manufactured one over for me to copy but after checking angles on it and finding out it would not cut dia. to a square shoulder and face without resetting it I decided to use the angles in the article he brought me also. I don't know how or why I lived without one of these. I plan on making another for opposite shoulder turning and one that is centered and holds round stock for very smooth finish. I may make 10 sets (left & right) to sell.

Tangential cutter (1).JPG Tangential cutter (2).JPG Tangential cutter (3).JPG tangential grinding fixture (1).JPG tangential grinding fixture (2).JPG

I had watched a video on hand bench work on Youtube and decided to give it a try. First step tonight was getting two sides of the the stock squared up. Just using a file and a square. It will be a drill bit angle gauge when it is done. Not sure what the stock is. Seems harder and heavier than aluminum. Maybe some kind of stainless. Whatever it is, it was free and in the trash at work. After an hour or so, I had the two sides about as square as my cheap square. I few small gaps for a little light to get through but close enough for the purpose.

IMG_0264.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG

Also finally got around to making some knobs for the gear cover on the lathe. I was tired of having to drag out a hex key whenever I wanted to open it up to oil the leadscrew bracket.
IMG_0262.JPG

Knurling was kind of lame as the scraps were pretty short and would pull out of the collet. I think I have one that is not screwed in all the way but they might be that mismatched in head size. I was just working with some scrap brass I had available... The other end of them is a long M5 screw.

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

Thanks Shawn, I used 12 & 12 The article I read said that was the optimal angle but I'm sure 1 degree difference doesn't make any difference. The one Benny has the angles are 12 & 6 if my memory serves me right or maybe 10 & 6. I didn't like that one.

I ground an internal threading tool for tight spaces, that's an exercise in patients :rofl:

View attachment 63236

Shawn--what size hole will your new tool fit into? I'm going to make one to cut internal threads in a 9/32" hole--hope I do as good a job as you did---Dave

Actually did this a few days ago but was being a bit of a jerk about posting but I got over it.
Tangential tool holder and grinding fixture. Both work great. Benny dropped his manufactured one over for me to copy but after checking angles on it and finding out it would not cut dia. to a square shoulder and face without resetting it I decided to use the angles in the article he brought me also. I don't know how or why I lived without one of these. I plan on making another for opposite shoulder turning and one that is centered and holds round stock for very smooth finish. I may make 10 sets (left & right) to sell.

Nice work Charley. A tangential tool holder has been on my "to do" list for a long time.

Maybe it's the camera angle or the lighting (or my old eyes) but I can't quite figure out your holding screw. In the first picture it looks like the headstock side of the tool is all vertical in one plane. In the end view I see that the button head screw is a little long and protrudes thru the back side - no big deal. But, the angle of the screw doesn't look right. It doesn't look perpendicular to either the tool or tool holder. Is it just an optical illusion or did you do something special that I can't see?

Steve

PS: Any tips on how to get over being a jerk? My wife says I could use some help in this area. :lmao:

Nice work Charley. A tangential tool holder has been on my "to do" list for a long time.

Maybe it's the camera angle or the lighting (or my old eyes) but I can't quite figure out your holding screw. In the first picture it looks like the headstock side of the tool is all vertical in one plane. In the end view I see that the button head screw is a little long and protrudes thru the back side - no big deal. But, the angle of the screw doesn't look right. It doesn't look perpendicular to either the tool or tool holder. Is it just an optical illusion or did you do something special that I can't see?

Steve

PS: Any tips on how to get over being a jerk? My wife says I could use some help in this area. :lmao:

I drilled and tapped the hole at the same angle as the cutter slot while it was still in the vice. Yea I know the screw is too long but it was all I had at the time and wanted to hurry and try it out. I will take care of that for all you OCD guys:nuts:. The only real issue with the screw holding is the washer I used, I used a regular washer and it bends so the tool will slip on an intermittent cut so I'm gonna replace it with a thicker hardened one.

Back