2014 POTD Thread Archive

Another none metal post, but metal related, need storage for metal stock and the tractor and a bunch of other stuff, so started timber framing a three bay shed. I sawed the timber last spring but it hasn't dried a lot over our wet summer.
Certainly not the quickest way to put up a building but it is FUN
Here are the posts pretty much completed, (quality control is keeping her watchful eye on things)

IMG_1416.jpg

Greg

IMG_1416.jpg

Alright, don't laugh. I made a new telescoping handle for my kids' fold up wagon. The old handle pivoted on two axis. It was annoying to say the least. I'd have left it alone had it not broken. Anyhow, I milled a hinge that clamps on to the lower horizontal frame member. I used shoulder bolts for the hinge pivot with a few thousandths of clearance. The telescoping handle is a piece of 1/2" tubing that slides through a clamp into a piece of 3/4" square tubing. The 1/2" tubing is indexed with a welded square that fits the inside dimensions of the square tubing. IMG_3811.JPGIMG_3812.JPGIMG_3813.JPGIMG_3814.JPGIMG_3815.JPGIMG_3816.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG IMG_3812.JPG IMG_3813.JPG IMG_3814.JPG IMG_3815.JPG IMG_3816.JPG

Got more done on my 2" x 42" belt grinder project, and today I ran it for the first time to see if the belt would track OK. It did, so it was a successful test. I still need to make a platen to support the belt, and a tool rest. I will be mounting the whole thing to a grinder pedestal I made last summer. Once everything is fitted and tested, I'll disassemble it and sandblast before painting. The only parts I didn't make are the motor, bolts, and belt tension spring.

It is a 3/4 HP 3450 RPM Dayton sealed TEFC motor with a 56C frame (end mount instead of base mount). The drive pulley is 6" in diameter, and the idler pulley is 4" in diameter. With the direct drive, I will get about 5200 feet per minute belt speed for metal grinding. The 4" idler pulley is mounted on two 1 1/4" ball bearings, and there is a small metal knob on the top left side to adjust belt tracking.

In the test video below, it is not fastened to anything. It is just sitting on that red steel plate. It seems to run pretty smooth, and coasts down slowly when turned off, so I think friction is minimal.

IMAG0822.jpg

[video=youtube_share;AnUJVDbbFWw]http://youtu.be/AnUJVDbbFWw?list=UUCvaOlt0JI9gBVS3W5fJ9oQ[/video]

GG

IMAG0822.jpg

Made a new handle for my cross slide. Old one worked fine but was small so keeping a consistent rate across was a challenge (No power cross like on my Warner Swasey) at times for multiple parts. So I thought if I could take an aluminum bar and sink the stock handle into it by machining it to fit on my Bridgeport it would have more leverage and be easier to turn. I was able to "Sink the handle" into the bar and put on a nice swivel handle to be very smooth and easy to use. And I could keep my Wabeco D6000E stock, not taking off the handle. I was going to use a set screw but luckily it fits on just snug enough where I won't need a set screw to keep it there.

IMG_0941.jpg

7609b668-5c25-4d35-8e12-79dc27a7c1be.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

7609b668-5c25-4d35-8e12-79dc27a7c1be.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

I kinda feel like mine don't belong here with all the excellent projects that are posted but...it's what I did in my shop today (A couple of hours this afternoon after work).

I modified the mount from my little jewelers three jaw to fit my small (4") rotary table (From India of course). Haven't used the rotary table or the chuck since I purchased them, a couple of years past. The rotary table was/is too small for most of what I machine and likewise for the chuck. Now I might find them more versatile/useful together than apart.

SANY0032.JPG SANY0033.JPG SANY0034.JPG SANY0036.JPG

Jever notice how something not dirty looks dirty in a flash photo. Brings out all the hidden "glory".

SANY0033.JPG SANY0032.JPG SANY0034.JPG SANY0036.JPG

Made a new handle for my cross slide. Old one worked fine but was small so keeping a consistent rate across was a challenge (No power cross like on my Warner Swasey) at times for multiple parts. So I thought if I could take an aluminum bar and sink the stock handle into it by machining it to fit on my Bridgeport it would have more leverage and be easier to turn. I was able to "Sink the handle" into the bar and put on a nice swivel handle to be very smooth and easy to use. And I could keep my Wabeco D6000E stock, not taking off the handle. I was going to use a set screw but luckily it fits on just snug enough where I won't need a set screw to keep it there.

IMG_0939.jpg

Now that's an idea that might come in handy!

IMG_0939.jpg

I'm trying to make a replacement pulley for my 1x42 belt grinder. One of the pulleys exploded (see my other post about this...).

In order to make the pulley, I need a carriage stop.

I had some scrap aluminum sitting around, so here's my new carriage stop:

Carriage Stop-1.jpgCarriage Stop-2.jpg

I used the plans from projects in metal.

Darren

Carriage Stop-1.jpg Carriage Stop-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back