2014 POTD Thread Archive

Hi Mike
It could be the same. This one is imported by Modern Tool in Alberta, they call it a 935vs. Had it about 12 years I think, great little machine.
The lathe I was unloading was a Hardinge HLV I picked up on auction last winter to replace a well used Colchester. The Hardinge needed a lot of attention but had very little wear, was stored in a government warehouse for decades apparently. After repairs and a paint job.

_MG_3404.jpg

My other lathe is a Polish made one imported by Summit Machine tools. A 16 x 80 work horse.

IMG_0530.jpg

Greg

_MG_3404.jpg IMG_0530.jpg

Hi Mike
It could be the same. This one is imported by Modern Tool in Alberta, they call it a 935vs. Had it about 12 years I think, great little machine.
The lathe I was unloading was a Hardinge HLV I picked up on auction last winter to replace a well used Colchester. The Hardinge needed a lot of attention but had very little wear, was stored in a government warehouse for decades apparently. After repairs and a paint job.

Greg

Awesome, thank Greg. I believe they are the same, I heard rumor that the same company that made the Modern variable 9x35 is who Matt is having manufacture his PM935TV. By all appearances they sure look identical.

Now for the million dollar question. You have had yours for 12 years, I just got mine six weeks ago. Are you still happy with it after all this time? Would you have bought the same one again?

I would have loved to have a full-size BP clone in my shop (9x49) but space limitations forced me to downsize my equipment choices. I had originally went the direction of a 9x32 benchtop (RF45 clone) but quickly changed to the 9x35 knee mill after discussing with Matt @ QMT when he informed me it was Taiwanese made and took up much the same floor space as the benchtop that I was looking at.

So far I love my little 9x35 and I haven't been able to think of anything that it won't be able to handle for me. I have wondered about height but haven't ran across anything so far. Can I ask where did you get your riser from? I may pick one up down the road just in case I ever need a little more height out of her.

Thanks.

Oh, and nice score on the Hardinge. I used one years ago very briefly and loved it but well out of my price range.

Awesome, thank Greg. I believe they are the same, I heard rumor that the same company that made the Modern variable 9x35 is who Matt is having manufacture his PM935TV. By all appearances they sure look identical.

Now for the million dollar question. You have had yours for 12 years, I just got mine six weeks ago. Are you still happy with it after all this time? Would you have bought the same one again?

I would have loved to have a full-size BP clone in my shop (9x49) but space limitations forced me to downsize my equipment choices. I had originally went the direction of a 9x32 benchtop (RF45 clone) but quickly changed to the 9x35 knee mill after discussing with Matt @ QMT when he informed me it was Taiwanese made and took up much the same floor space as the benchtop that I was looking at.

So far I love my little 9x35 and I haven't been able to think of anything that it won't be able to handle for me. I have wondered about height but haven't ran across anything so far. Can I ask where did you get your riser from? I may pick one up down the road just in case I ever need a little more height out of her.

Thanks.

Oh, and nice score on the Hardinge. I used one years ago very briefly and loved it but well out of my price range.

No real complaints Mike, hasn't given a minute of trouble and seams to be as accurate as I can make it. Its the only mill I've ever used so can't compare it to anything though. As for size on occasion I could use a larger and heavier machine but doubt I'll ever upgrade. I do some fabrication and maintenance for people in the area so it gets worked harder than the average home shop I guess but its not used in a manufacturing environment. As for the riser I ended up buying it from Modern tool out of Calgary even though Im now living in Ontario. They gave me a far better price than anywhere around here and bent over backwards to get it to me. They had a container coming from Taiwan in a month or so, if I could wait they could throw it in there and cut the price for me, when it got to Calgary they said if I wasn't in a rush they were shipping some machines to their Toronto store, they'd again throw it in there and get it closer. When it got to Toronto I get a call from the manager, he's coming to Ottawa in a couple of days and would bring it in his car if I could meet him there, ended up getting it from him at his hotel. Can't say enough good about their service.

Greg

No real complaints Mike, hasn't given a minute of trouble and seams to be as accurate as I can make it. Its the only mill I've ever used so can't compare it to anything though. As for size on occasion I could use a larger and heavier machine but doubt I'll ever upgrade. I do some fabrication and maintenance for people in the area so it gets worked harder than the average home shop I guess but its not used in a manufacturing environment. As for the riser I ended up buying it from Modern tool out of Calgary even though Im now living in Ontario. They gave me a far better price than anywhere around here and bent over backwards to get it to me. They had a container coming from Taiwan in a month or so, if I could wait they could throw it in there and cut the price for me, when it got to Calgary they said if I wasn't in a rush they were shipping some machines to their Toronto store, they'd again throw it in there and get it closer. When it got to Toronto I get a call from the manager, he's coming to Ottawa in a couple of days and would bring it in his car if I could meet him there, ended up getting it from him at his hotel. Can't say enough good about their service.

Greg

WOW. That is awesome customer service alright.

Are you going to leave the riser on the mill when done with this job or will you remove it?

Yah I couldn't believe them but actually grew to expect that from companies in Alberta, great people out there but absolutely horrible winters for the 23 years i live there.
Will try it with the riser in but think I'd have to run with the quill extended all the way to mill a plate clamped to the table, in the vice it would be fine.

Greg

More oily fingers, feels great.
Even after rebushing those butterfly valves, they were still sticking closed if you slammed them shut. Think they are worn enough that the butterfly? is going into the housing too far from wear and the angle has allowed too much metal contact if that makes sense. Fix, added adjustable stops to keep them from slamming shut so tight.

IMG_1466.jpg

Then made stems to convert fixed pressure regulators to adjustable, he had one to copy.

IMG_1468.jpg

Greg

IMG_1466.jpg IMG_1468.jpg

I'm getting close to finishing a dividing head that is pretty close to the unit prescribed in Gingery's Dividing Head and Deluxe Accessories. I generally like to use as much scrap as possible on these projects. So instead of casting the main frame in aluminum, I welded up some 1/2" steel from my scrap pile. I also like a variety of processes, so I also cast some parts in aluminum (like the hole-plates) and some in zinc (the worm gear carrier).

This is my first project on my new Rong Fu. It came with 3-axis DRO, and the hole-pattern calculator is really great.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about this build. And I'll post again when I cut my first gear (or maybe a square head on a bolt :))).

Cannon-FodderDividingHead.jpg

DividingHead.jpg

The Finale. Make sure to watch after the credits for some outtakes and some stills of the rig.

[video=youtube_share;n6p7-qiVr6o]http://youtu.be/n6p7-qiVr6o[/video]

Let's get this mill onto the trailer.

[video=youtube_share;JtXSlVZL9tc]http://youtu.be/JtXSlVZL9tc[/video]

Back