2014 POTD Thread Archive

I tried like hell to get scientific. I have 3 good books opened to gear cutting and none of them give any good info for cutting a wheel. I even ordered a rotary table with dividing plates and tail stock and it seems this gear wont need it. And for my application I need the gear to be as big as the space will allow. So "flipping a nut" the largest size possible will get me as close as any math will. I have 2 more gears in this thing to make so I hope I can compensate for gear restriction on the wheel with those spur gears.

At any rate thats a awesome dividing head. You done a great job on it from where I'm sitting

I was wondering if I should post the milling machine move to some forum where everything is not lost in this thread? Comments? Maybe the projects forum.

Aint there a rigger forum? I would simply because alot of guys need just that kinda help. I spent hours watching videos before I got my BP

Great idea guys. Here is a link to that forum. Riggers Forum

I was wondering if I should post the milling machine move to some forum where everything is not lost in this thread? Comments? Maybe the projects forum.
If you start a new thread somewhere, ("rigging" is a good suggestion) then a mod can move your posts

Cheers Phil

Finally getting around to fixing some shortcomings of the belt drive conversion kit I bought for the PM25/G0704. One of my concerns was the much smaller spline engagement of the bearing carrier that replaces the geared stock one. So I decided to take that portion of the stock carrier and put it in the one that came with the kit. (the bearing carrier in the kit has a small female spline that looks EDM cut that is pressed and pinned into one end)

First I had to turn down the small gear near the splined end of the sleeve.

DSCN4227.JPG

Then I had to turn down an area concentric with the small bearing surface over the splined portion.

DSCN4229.JPG

This is what's left of the original geared shaft (right) and the splined portion ready for insertion into the new carrier.

DSCN4233.JPG

The smaller splined section is what came in the replacement carrier. The stock section shows significantly more engagement surface.

I will remove the small bearing ID surface on the replacement carrier and interference fit, red loctite, and pin the stock spline section in here to replace the original one. Should be robust enough for this application. Any suggestions as to material for a .1" steel pin? I will be using two, 180 deg apart and a small sleeve over the pins to keep them in place.

Then I will address the pulleys, as they are slightly loose on the carrier and motor and wobble a bit. I will turn some steel inserts for them that are a tighter fit (pulleys are aluminum).

DSCN4227.JPG DSCN4229.JPG DSCN4233.JPG

Wired up the new to me Index 745. Now that I know everything works with the switches and the mills all good I will enclose the VFD and clean up the wiring so it is secure.

indexwired.JPG

Got a couple of projects finished to day that I'm super please about. 1) added digital readouts to the vise and the quill. Bit of a fiddle, especially the quill as I didn't want to drill into the drill press, but seriously worth it.

View attachment 86458View attachment 86459View attachment 86460View attachment 86461

2) As soon as I'd done the quill, I used it to mill some flats into a DIY slitting saw arbor to tighten up the nut. Worked out perfectly!

IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_3608.JPG

Didnt really achieve a lot
IMG_6473_zpse52aca0f.jpg
But I was a bit surprised to find one of my rat catchers in a storage cupboard!
Its a carpet python, pretty common around these parts

Cheers Phil

IMG_6473_zpse52aca0f.jpg

Created a new mount for a Mitutoyo quill scale given to me by a friend. The old mount was for a Bridgport and that didn't work for the Gorton 9-J. Just went with a rare earth magnet to hold it to the quill key.

20141026_133207 (768x1024).jpg

20141026_133207 (768x1024).jpg

If my wife opened our storage cupboard and found your little friend I would soon be visiting her in the psychiatric ward of the local hospital.

Back