2014 POTD Thread Archive

That is a very interesting contraption, I need something like that that would wrap a barrel liner with a strong graphite thread. The barrel would have to move up and down for repeat layers, and of course it would have to have some kind of adhesive applied while this was being woven on the barrel.

It does seem like it might be good for wrapping carbon fiber. That's a great idea.

GG

Re: My new safty glass

safty glass

This looks like a great way to do a chip guard for a lathe. I like that it gets completely out of the way when you don't need it.

I have very poor low light vision, so I decided to add some lighting to my mill. I used a 90mm angel eye LED ring and some LED strip lights. I mounted an aluminum enclosure to hold the transformer for the light and mounted a push button switch. I fed the transformer off of the 120 volt supply on the mill. I ran all the wires inside the head of the mill to keep things looking clean. I plan to add one more strip light to the left side. I still need to paint the enclosure to match the rest of the machine. I made the fixture for the strip lights out of acrylic tubing some plastic end caps and some scraps of aluminum.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The amount of light is great. I can actually see what if going on as I am working. The LED lights run with no heat wich is great here in Phoenix. PM me if anyone wants specifics about the materials I used. The whole project cost under $30, and I still have 8 feet of LED strip lights

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

As I get older I have come to the conclusion you cant have too much light.
Nice one.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm quite proud of it. I did a little research on the net on how they worked and just started building it in steps. A few people on another site have asked me for the plans....good lord..there's no plan for that contraption..I just figured out what had to happen next and built the bits to make it happen. LOL.

The "belt of many colors" can be had at any Staples/Business Depot store. Very high tech stuff. Too much stretch, put on another rubber band. :) When I first started this little venture, I built a 2 x 2 x 4 foot frame for it out of 1" square tubing. I rounded up a 1/4 hp 1800 rpm motor, a right hand drive gear reducer. Overkill to the extreme for sure. I sat back and reflected on it for a while and then had to stop myself. I thought...how much fuse are you really going to make with this thing ? A thousand feet to supply me and all my buddies for the rest of our lives is the realistic answer. So...why are you building a commercial grade machine that can probably crank out that much in an hour, and then will be taken apart so it's bits can be used on the next project ! I decided to go with the light duty version instead. LOL.

I cranked it up last night, and made up about 250 ft with it, so now, I have plenty for me for the rest of my days. I'll check with a few friends and see how much they want and I'll let them know what materials I need them to supply. I'll make that up, and then probably start robbing parts off it for the next "Mechano gone wrong" build.

Cheers guys.

Why stop there? Seems to me like Canadian fuse just went to 90 cents per foot!! What is the diameter by the way?

As far as lighting goes it's hard to beat a T5 H.O. fluorescent fixture. 58w 4 ft bulbs. Right above the lathe.

As far as lighting goes it's hard to beat a T5 H.O. fluorescent fixture. 58w 4 ft bulbs. Right above the lathe.

I just put in an 8' 4 bulb T5 fixture as well, but the head of the mill creates shadows that I wanted to eliminate. My low light vision is very poor as I age, so I fight back with lots of light.

I have these in my shop and there great! Super bright and very efficient to power.

Sure. Just not in any of my cannons. Something crazyness about Canadian cops not liking cannon fire in a subdivision in a major city. I know..I know...no sense of humor. LOL. My favorite has a 44mm bore, and it's a little on the loud side. :)

I'm currently working on a few other desk top size versions. Anyway...here's a video of a test of the final finished product after it's got it's nitrocellulose coating on it.

[video=youtube;QVOVVoB36cM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVOVVoB36cM[/video]

And a 1 foot burn rate test

[video=youtube;vm8tlD3EXu0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm8tlD3EXu0[/video]

Very nice machine and final product. I didn't have a clue that a fuse could be made at home that appears to be as good as commercially available fuse.

:thumbzup3:

Mike

Back