2014 POTD Thread Archive

Nice job, and that's the reason that you never get rid of your lantern tool post, you never know when it will save your butt by doing what a QCTP cant.

that is exactly right, i even seen people say, now i have a QCTP gonna sell my lantern any takers?
i put mine in the box the QCTP came in and threw it in the motor cabinet. the lantern post made that job. got paid what, 3-5 times what i coulda sold the lantern for lol

After searching for 45 minutes for my wrench for my toolpost that just happened to fall between my lathe bench and wall at some point, I decided I needed to make a permanent handle/ nut combo for my toolpost. That was 3 weeks ago....... Just got around to making it. Works pretty well. I aligned the handle so it's in-line with the compound so If I were to swing it at an odd angle it'd be sure to be out of the way. Worst case if I want it in another position I could always drop a washer under it. It seems a bit long, but I'll use it for a bit and decide if I need to give it a haircut or not.

Video- http://youtu.be/Or2APTZoYR0

IMG_0543.JPG.IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG IMG_0543.JPG

Nice job , why haven't i thought of that yet.. thanks

After searching for 45 minutes for my wrench for my toolpost that just happened to fall between my lathe bench and wall at some point, I decided I needed to make a permanent handle/ nut combo for my toolpost. That was 3 weeks ago....... Just got around to making it. Works pretty well. I aligned the handle so it's in-line with the compound so If I were to swing it at an odd angle it'd be sure to be out of the way. Worst case if I want it in another position I could always drop a washer under it. It seems a bit long, but I'll use it for a bit and decide if I need to give it a haircut or not.

Video- http://youtu.be/Or2APTZoYR0

View attachment 88347.View attachment 88346

A dedicated tool post lock down handle is on my short list of projects to make. Yours looks great! Thank you for posting!

GG

Matt, have a look into Arduino drivers. They may do what you want more easily

Cheers Phil
Thanks Phil - this shouldn't be too bad as there are lots of very smart people willing to help electronic idiots like me and there's a lot of code sloshing around I can use. The reason Arduinos aren't used much in bike or hand held lights is because of size and cost. This driver will be 26mm diameter and ~$6, and that's kinda large! There are some as small as 10mm, which is crazy!

Well...not exactly a "today" thing...more like a "the last month" thing.

The story goes something like this. I'm into black powder cannon shooting. As it turns out, it's become almost impossible to buy cannon fuse here in Canada. The one source I do know about wants $0.80 per foot for the stuff, which is obscene. As we all know, machinists can be the most patient people on earth, and if you tell us we can't have something....well.....that's just a challenge to make your own. LOL.

Here's my new visco fuse making machine. There's a little bit of machining in there...a little bit of welding.....a few purchased parts.....a few salvaged parts, and a whole lot of patience and tweaking to get the timing just right.

I rarely ever see anyone post a video here, so I had a look in the rules...didn't see anything in there about not doing it unless it's it's got a copywrite on it....well...this is my video, shot by me....you get the idea....anyway...if I'm breaking a rule, mods/admin, please feel free to drop the hammer on it...no offense taken....it's just that you can't really grasp what this thing does without seeing it in action. LOL. Oh...and I swear the song on the radio was just a coincidence. I didn't even notice it until about 3 days after I shot the video on my phone. LOL.

[video=youtube;BSvrPu7zjZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvrPu7zjZc[/video]

That is truly impressive, you must be pleased as punch with it!

Super cool Herr Goldberg ! I particularily like the "belt of many colors" at the bottom.

Well...not exactly a "today" thing...more like a "the last month" thing.

The story goes something like this. I'm into black powder cannon shooting. As it turns out, it's become almost impossible to buy cannon fuse here in Canada. The one source I do know about wants $0.80 per foot for the stuff, which is obscene. As we all know, machinists can be the most patient people on earth, and if you tell us we can't have something....well.....that's just a challenge to make your own. LOL.

Here's my new visco fuse making machine. There's a little bit of machining in there...a little bit of welding.....a few purchased parts.....a few salvaged parts, and a whole lot of patience and tweaking to get the timing just right.

I rarely ever see anyone post a video here, so I had a look in the rules...didn't see anything in there about not doing it unless it's it's got a copywrite on it....well...this is my video, shot by me....you get the idea....anyway...if I'm breaking a rule, mods/admin, please feel free to drop the hammer on it...no offense taken....it's just that you can't really grasp what this thing does without seeing it in action. LOL. Oh...and I swear the song on the radio was just a coincidence. I didn't even notice it until about 3 days after I shot the video on my phone. LOL.

[video=youtube;BSvrPu7zjZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvrPu7zjZc[/video]

Super cool Herr Goldberg ! I particularily like the "belt of many colors" at the bottom.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm quite proud of it. I did a little research on the net on how they worked and just started building it in steps. A few people on another site have asked me for the plans....good lord..there's no plan for that contraption..I just figured out what had to happen next and built the bits to make it happen. LOL.

The "belt of many colors" can be had at any Staples/Business Depot store. Very high tech stuff. Too much stretch, put on another rubber band. :) When I first started this little venture, I built a 2 x 2 x 4 foot frame for it out of 1" square tubing. I rounded up a 1/4 hp 1800 rpm motor, a right hand drive gear reducer. Overkill to the extreme for sure. I sat back and reflected on it for a while and then had to stop myself. I thought...how much fuse are you really going to make with this thing ? A thousand feet to supply me and all my buddies for the rest of our lives is the realistic answer. So...why are you building a commercial grade machine that can probably crank out that much in an hour, and then will be taken apart so it's bits can be used on the next project ! I decided to go with the light duty version instead. LOL.

I cranked it up last night, and made up about 250 ft with it, so now, I have plenty for me for the rest of my days. I'll check with a few friends and see how much they want and I'll let them know what materials I need them to supply. I'll make that up, and then probably start robbing parts off it for the next "Mechano gone wrong" build.

Cheers guys.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm quite proud of it. I did a little research on the net on how they worked and just started building it in steps. A few people on another site have asked me for the plans....good lord..there's no plan for that contraption..I just figured out what had to happen next and built the bits to make it happen. LOL.

The "belt of many colors" can be had at any Staples/Business Depot store. Very high tech stuff. Too much stretch, put on another rubber band. :) When I first started this little venture, I built a 2 x 2 x 4 foot frame for it out of 1" square tubing. I rounded up a 1/4 hp 1800 rpm motor, a right hand drive gear reducer. Overkill to the extreme for sure. I sat back and reflected on it for a while and then had to stop myself. I thought...how much fuse are you really going to make with this thing ? A thousand feet to supply me and all my buddies for the rest of our lives is the realistic answer. So...why are you building a commercial grade machine that can probably crank out that much in an hour, and then will be taken apart so it's bits can be used on the next project ! I decided to go with the light duty version instead. LOL.

I cranked it up last night, and made up about 250 ft with it, so now, I have plenty for me for the rest of my days. I'll check with a few friends and see how much they want and I'll let them know what materials I need them to supply. I'll make that up, and then probably start robbing parts off it for the next "Mechano gone wrong" build.

Cheers guys.
That is a very interesting contraption, I need something like that that would wrap a barrel liner with a strong graphite thread. The barrel would have to move up and down for repeat layers, and of course it would have to have some kind of adhesive applied while this was being woven on the barrel.

Back