2014 POTD Thread Archive

Today I made a tooling plate from a piece of aluminum I picked up at the scrap yard
I have had one on my Sherline mill for years and have wanted one for my zx45
steve

DSCF1098.JPG

Today I made a mock up gear case cover out of MDF for my Z-axis conversion project. I made this to check the fit and the G-code. I want to make sure everything is right so I don't turn my aluminum pieces into scrap.

The through hole is to clear the step motor shaft. it sticks out a bit right now because the gear case mock up is a bit skinny. The whole assembly will be 2.157 thick when completed.

I have a little more detail work to do on the design before I turn a whole bunch of aluminum into chips. I hope to have that completed tomorrow and should be able to machine the real gear case in the next couple of days.

gccover1.jpg

Installed on the mock up gear case

gccover2.jpg

See the gear case mock up build here http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...You-Do-in-Your-Shop-Today?p=183993#post183993

See more of the project here http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/21060-Z-axis-CNC-Conversion

The whole mill upgrade project can be seen here http://www.dawsoncontrols.com/millupgrade.html

Decided to mount a new chuck so I turned a cast iron mounting plate. Was a bit apprehensive about turning cast iron but I really liked it.

When I got to the shop today, I immediately started working on my wife's laundry room cabinets that are taking up all of my room. I cut down the base coat of teak oil finish with 0000 steel wool and laid down another coat, then started working on A. Finding spindle bearings for my mill. B. Got the gas block in place and the barrel ready to mill the taper pin holes on an AR that I'm building out of an old M-16A1 parts kit, and C. Reshaped, crowned, and temporarily blued the muzzle on a replica Schofield revolver that a guy had sawed off after bulging the barrel with a squib load. I then Dremeled a slot in the rib and prepped the front sight for re-installation.I'm going to have to get the mill up and running before I can finish the install because I've got to drill through the curved portion of the rib.
I still need to lap the crown, finish, polish, and reblue the muzzle, and finish pinning the sight, but it looks a lot better than the hacksaw job that it came in with.

IMG_20140227_211046_110_zps6e0514d7.jpg

IMG_20140227_211123_337_zps70104842.jpg

IMG_20140227_211146_505_zps181e7606.jpg

IMG_20140227_211258_805_zpsf01de3a9.jpg

Strictly a welding project, but it is after all in "the shop". For a long time now I've wanted to take the time to build a simple magnetic tig torch holster. Finally bought a big dumb magnet at HF last night for $4 and found some old wrenches I'll never use. Shinny stuff mesmerizes me...

tigholster_zps84278e5c.jpg

tigholster2_zpse0f51bd9.jpg

Well got some things cleaned up at least the small pieces not comes the second pile only three more to go.

Todd

image.jpg

Last edited:
Well got some things cleaned up at least the small pieces not comes the second pile only three more to go.

Todd
I see you have that anti gravity machine all tuned -up. You got any plans for it?:lmao:

Oh no fair, you turned the picture right side up. :))

I see you have that anti gravity machine all tuned -up. You got any plans for it?:lmao:

No they have no means to turn your download it was right in my file but the program rotated it. I fixed my way it looks better now.

Todd:phew:

:lmao: I'm glad to see someone else does this too. I faced off all the ends on my various pieces of metal stock. I did it because I thought it was fun, but my wife says it's because I'm a little OCD. :whistle: Compulsion loves company!

GG

Converted my wood band saw to metal simply by replaced the motor with 1HP DC motor with variable speed drive now I can go form 200-300 ft/sec to 3000 simply by turning a dial so far very happy cut well but I only tried 1/8 stock so far
band saw.jpg
P

IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0587.JPG band saw.jpg

Back