2014 POTD Thread Archive

First project on my new to me Sheldon lathe... It came with a 3 jaw chuck, but no key. I did a no-no- milled the flats on my drill press. I don't have a mill.IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

This was over the past week, but I finally finished cleaning up last summer's flea market find, an old rollaround toolbox I got for $50 with a bunch of tools (some good, some junk) in it. Dragging it over a grass field back to my truck was a struggle! Guessing 1960s promotional, with the STP logo sticker in a matching stamped in oval on the front cover... when I was a kid, every self respecting American boy had an STP sticker somewhere... mine was on the seat of my Schwinn Stingray.

When I was a kid in the late 1960s, I wrote to STP and asked for stickers. They replied with a large envelope with over 30 coveted stickers of all sizes. My bike and my friends bikes were decorated nicely. The treasure in the batch was a car shaped sticker featuring the 1967 Parnelli Jones Turbine Indy car.

STPcar2.jpg
Jack

STPcar2.jpg

I 've been hiding for some time, just doing some secret tools for the biggest car manufacturer and for the GVMNT. Anyway, I got time to create some art. I made a voluptuous heart medal. Ended up well, but now I will need five axes to engrave it. It is a heart extruded to intersect a half sphere, so its surface becomes voluptuous. Then I mill around the face in a hearts shape. Here is a pic.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Original ac motor was 1/2 hp. Now 1 1/2 hp dc.

Top mounting bolts aligned okay, had to weld on tab for bottom bolts.

Pulley fit with no trouble.

Notice there is another machined hole between the 2 pulleys. Guess
that hole would be for a jack-shaft pulley, for more speeds.

bench drill.jpgweld view.jpg

Charl

bench drill.jpg weld view.jpg

I love reading this thread.

Nearly finished re-doing my HF X-Y vise, which has been my project for the last couple of weeks (if not longer, I can't remember!):

IMG_3271_zpsb3d7f067.jpg
IMG_3270_zps589dadaa.jpg
IMG_3269_zpsa9c97888.jpg

Just need to mill a bit off the middle slide so that the new end plate clears (really should have measured clearance first!)
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=20946

Decided to do a little work in the shop before going into work this afternoon. Trammed my X2 with a tramming tool I bought a couple months ago. Bought it more for convenience than anything else, but it did make it about a 5 minute job.

DSC00325.jpg

Then I proceeded to fix something I messed up on. I used my 4 jaw which came with my Jet 920 to true up a backing plate. Should have left it alone, as that 4 jaw that comes with the lathe is a terrible design. When I mounted the backing plate on my spindle it was cut at an angle. Only about .006" but enough to see light. :angry: So I put the backing plate on my X2 and took a skim cut.

DSC00329.jpg

Now it sits fine and I can get on with mounting the rest of it.

DSC00330.jpg

DSC00325.jpg DSC00329.jpg DSC00330.jpg

I finally got around to installing my VFD on my Arboga Gear Head drill Press. There was no obvious way to mount anything to the top of the gear box so I made a frame out of angle and welded it to an electrical box. The frame is clamped to the head with 8-24 set screws. The box holds a 15 amp panel breaker and will also hold the transformer for the LED lights that I will be installing next.

It works great except the VFD makes a high pitched whine.

IMG_1380.jpg IMG_1378.jpg IMG_1377.jpg IMG_1375.jpg IMG_1374.jpg

Back