2014 POTD Thread Archive

Yesterday's project....
Finish the repaint and cleanup on shop press:
japataje.jpg
Have a couple of these:
ynaqyseh.jpg
:cool:

I've been trying to do my first gun engraving job and I've been having a lot of trouble with my points breaking on my gravers, I've tried every type of graver I have. So I talked to a friend of mine that is a Master Engraver, does extraordinary work, anyway I told him about the issue & he turned me on to a company "Centennial Carbide", he told me the carbide is a different grade and seems to be a lot tougher than the carbide we get from GRS, GRS sells a "C-Max" carbide but it's $17.90 per each 2" piece, Centennial sells there carbide in one foot pieces, they didn't have 3/32" squares, I bought 1/8" pieces, cut them into 3" pieces, came out to $2.41 each. The only problem is they wouldn't fit in my holders, So now we're going to talk about the Project of the day, I had to build a holder, and I used my rebuilt Logan 1920-1 for it. I also used some cold bluing so it would look all sexy & everything :rofl:, Here's some pictures, Oh the O-ring on the new one was too big, so took one off the smaller one until I can get to the store for more.

3168c00f-856e-4d3b-a5e4-501960645782_zpsea67fd23.jpg

1b0c50d2-d9bc-4a20-ae15-d2f97186fe93_zps0ddd185c.jpg

55aa7c2c-1da3-4f6b-b550-c931b24d46a4_zps2289e7e3.jpg

This is a Video
th_Lathevideo_zps433eda9e.jpg

The video is not that long, and I could've started with a lot smaller piece to begin with, I was just playing with the lathe mostly getting use to everything. I got the ER40 collet chuck from Tallgrass Tools, Jan is a great guy to work with, anyway got a set of the collets off of ebay, They make it a lot easier for quick set ups.

I am definitely looking froward to the pictures of your gun engraving!!

The usual "pipe sliding inside a pipe with a spring" to push down taps using the drill press (without to power it!!!).

coso.jpg

The pipes are aluminum: the big one is 10 mm, the inner one is 8 mm.
The small handle (a wooden bead) is green because there is nothing else green in my shop, so it's faster to find it.
The spring is a piece of the same I used for the split nut posted some days ago.
The advantage of the spring is both hands are free to turn the tap, because there is no need to use the drill handles.
I think I must hack the ram to make it telescopic, because now it is pretty long.

coso.jpg

My project of the day was forming 5 little fan blades for the model engine I am building. The blanks were machined from .032 brass.v4fan 009.JPGv4fan 011.JPGv4fan 013.JPGv4fan 016.JPG

v4fan 009.JPG v4fan 011.JPG v4fan 013.JPG v4fan 016.JPG

This happened yesterday and the day before, dismantled, cleaned and reassembled a "new to me" 8 inch rotary table.
Lots of old grease and dirt, promtly lost two 3/32 woodruff keys on the floor around the mill -- so I have another project to do. The table turns a little easier now, didn't realize the intricacies of re-assembly. No name plate but it has Grizzly green paint.

I got a big tooling order in on Thursday. I love it when my ship ... ment comes in. This morning, I got some time to make a holder for the set of 5C collets. I had a chunk of 2 x 12, so I worked out a layout that would hold all 29 collets , plus a few spares. It really helps to mark out all of the sizes on the wood so that you can put them in order as you unpack them.
P4261393a.jpg

When I was almost done cleaning all of the collets, I found a duplicate. I had two 15/16" and no 15/32". Pretty easy to see how that could happen. The 5/16" is in the spin indexer because I already used it on a project.
P4261394a.jpg

P4261393a.jpg P4261394a.jpg

Ddushane, that is amazing. You truly are an artist.:thumbsup:

Back