2014 POTD Thread Archive

No where on the level as you guys but heres a simple pin made by my 10 year old.

Vince, be happy!
The 99.99% of contemporary kids would just sit in front of TV and cry until they get a new tractor.
A great +1 to Danny!
:applause: :thumbzup3:

That smile says it all Vince.

"Billy G"

Nice steady Savarin.
Cut the small "V" with the angle grinder? Just curious but, care to elaborate a little? Did you have the angle grinder mounted in a machine. Or do you have a grinder that can grind such angles?
Just held it free hand at the angle (well, close enough) with a very thin blade. Dont look close but it works for this task, as long as the clamps tighten ok.
Not so much done today, broke a 4mm tap in the bottom plate :allgood:just had to get the trusty spark eroder back to work.
Hopefully swmbo will allow more shop time tomorow.

POTD: Locking cam log dog for home made band saw sawmill

I have tried several types of log dogs but this looks like it will work quickly and easily and be out of the
way of the saw blade. It locks with a cam.

IMG_0423.JPG

Last edited:
Just held it free hand at the angle (well, close enough) with a very thin blade. Dont look close but it works for this task, as long as the clamps tighten ok.
Not so much done today, broke a 4mm tap in the bottom plate :allgood:just had to get the trusty spark eroder back to work.
Hopefully swmbo will allow more shop time tomorow.

Oh, ok. Yeah it's not like the steady has to slide on the bed-ways or anything like that so I guess you can get away with it.
Handy thing, a spark eroder. :)

- - - Updated - - -

No where on the level as you guys but heres a simple pin made by my 10 year old.
View attachment 75899

Way to go Danny! It started at 13 for me.

Started cleaning out the headstock sump of the ole Colchester Triumph (used paraffin). It wasn't really gummed up but, had quite a bit of metal powder and particles from the years of use. Thickness ground the woodruff keys for a nice snug fit.

2014-05-02-Dirty-oil-sump.jpg

These broken bits below are from a crushed sellock pin that prevents a keyed gear from sliding along the shaft. That's what years of interrupted cuts can do to a lathe.

2014-05-02 -broken-sellock.jpg

The gears that go on the shaft that I made need to be assembled by placing them in the gearbox and then sliding/pressing the shaft through them from a hole in the machine casting so, I'm test fitting them while they are out of the gearbox so that I should have little or no problem when it comes to assembly in the gearbox time (I mean they fitted before right ? :pondering:)

2014-05-02 -press-shaft-into-gear.jpg

Nothing can be loose on this shaft (or the lathe will clatter and not take the cutting loads properly), and nothing can be too tight either or you will be tempted to use forbidden vocabulary when assembling.

I hope to start assembling on Monday. I'll take a break to my own lil workshop for the weekend. Ahhh, a break can be as good as a holiday. :))

2014-05-02-Dirty-oil-sump.jpg 2014-05-02 -broken-sellock.jpg 2014-05-02 -press-shaft-into-gear.jpg

Pretty proud of me… I had to place a 12 mm arbor (a scrap of iron railing) inside a 6201 bearing (12×32×10).
The arbor was actually 12.15 mm, while the bearing was 11.77.
Half an hour of drill press and sandpaper pinched around the arbor, and now the bearing is press fit.
Of course this is one of my sub-sub-projects…

The ever-continuing challenge of making room in our small shops. I was staring at a pile of stuff next to my vertical mill the other day and realized that another mill tender (tool cart) like the one I made for the Victoria would make some valuable storage space. Since they are on castors, it would be easy to pull it out to access the shelves behind for the less-used stuff.

Princess Auto (A bit like HF) often has furniture dollies for around $10. I can't buy four castors that cheaply. About 9 feet of 1" angle iron and 8 feet of 1 1/2" angle iron make up the frame. Then, some pieces of scrap plywood and some drawer slides and it's done.
attachment.php?thumbnail=8238.jpg

The tender is strong enough to hold heavy items like mill vises and dividing heads.
attachment.php?thumbnail=8239.jpg

Made a couple of shafts with circlip grooves in them for someone who provided me with a sketch. I used 6mm silver steel.

2014-05-04-pick-up-on-previous-groove.jpg
I picked up on the previous groove and then pitched the tool over to near the chuck to cut the next groove. This method provided me with an accurate enough pitch.
2014-05-04-cut-near-chuck-with-oil.jpg
The liquid ring around the shaft is soluble cutting oil in its undiluted state. It has a low viscosity and does not run out of the groove.
The shaft is not spun fast for its length enough to go into whip. Which can be very dangerous with long lengths of material. Beginners please note. When the length becomes excessive use a steady and/or a tailstock.
2014-05-04-circlip-with-wire.jpg
The circlips for this shaft are tiny and I didn't have small enough circlip pliers so, I used two "unbent" paper clips to check the fit.
2014-05-04-circlip-on.jpg
Fits ok :)
2014-05-04-circlip-grooved-shafts.jpg
The owner of these shall be pleased :))

2014-05-04-pick-up-on-previous-groove.jpg 2014-05-04-cut-near-chuck-with-oil.jpg 2014-05-04-circlip-with-wire.jpg 2014-05-04-circlip-on.jpg 2014-05-04-circlip-grooved-shafts.jpg

Back