2014 POTD Thread Archive

Had a good day in the shop today.
Made a brass nozzle to fit a scrapped sand blaster gun to blow chips from the inside of the chuck bore and register.
air-gun-nozzle.jpg
Welded up a hexagon from 1" x 2mm thick tube to make a large steady for some larger casting machining I have to do soon.
I clamped all the sections to a chunk of 1" plate to control distortions.

clamped-hex.jpg
the brass allthread was cross drilled in the lathe as I didnt trust my old el-cheapo drill.
The bearing on the drill is so I can check for clearance.
drilling-fingers.jpg
I cut the small "V" from the base plate with the angle grinder but I still have to fix the hexagon to the base clamp tomorow, I"m considering welding that.
steady-2.jpg
Al in all a nice days work for me.

air-gun-nozzle.jpg clamped-hex.jpg drilling-fingers.jpg steady-2.jpg

I'm going for walk today myself too even if it is raining. I have to ask, Can you tell me about the avatar?
It looks like a check mark with a line. I'm guessing it might be some sort of symbol in the CNC world.
Please enlighten us all. Thanks!

Nice. I walk about 5 to 10 km on most days. Never felt the need for a stick though. But I wouldn't mind a collapsible one as a weapon against possible scoundrels or vicious stray dogs.

I found out the 12 inch Sheldon Shaper has a 12-1/2 x 16 inch capacity ! :)

6eva3a8e.jpg

Bernie

I'm going for walk today myself too even if it is raining. I have to ask, Can you tell me about the avatar?
It looks like a check mark with a line. I'm guessing it might be some sort of symbol in the CNC world.
Please enlighten us all. Thanks!

Lol, I love rain when the weather is warm, enjoy.

The avatar is the symbol of the rapscallion. It symbolizes a cycle (circle) of failure (cross) that is sometimes needed to attain what is right (tick). The rapscallions of a good ilk are not dissuaded by failure or oppression when they know that they are persevering for a positive outcome. There are many examples of this in the scientific world (Galileo, Wright Brothers, John Logie Baird) but, it can also apply to those who fight against injustice and are deemed wrong by an oppressive power and an outcast or rogue worthy of banishment or even imprisonment, only for the truth of their correctness to be revealed in time. Example? The late and great Nelson Mandela.

Back on topic!
Finally hacked those woodruffs. Below they are pictured with the new shaft behind the old one, before being surface ground to a thickness that will make them press or tap into their slots. Sorry about the blurry picture (1.2mp cellphone camera).

woodruffs.jpg

woodruffs.jpg

I cut the small "V" from the base plate with the angle grinder but I still have to fix the hexagon to the base clamp tomorow, I"m considering welding that.
View attachment 75865
Al in all a nice days work for me.

Nice steady Savarin.
Cut the small "V" with the angle grinder? Just curious but, care to elaborate a little? Did you have the angle grinder mounted in a machine. Or do you have a grinder that can grind such angles?
I once ground a Morse taper (MT) with an angle grinder mounted in my lathes toolpost.
That's not good for the lathes slide ways I know but, sometimes you have to improvise.

Since I stole the legs off the tripod for walking sticks above for my kids trip. I finished the second part of the project..

shorty tripod..made new solid heavy legs...and direct bolt up center post...

get-attachment.jpeg get-attachment (4).jpeg get-attachment (5).jpeg get-attachment (3).jpeg get-attachment (6).jpeg get-attachment (1).jpeg

No where on the level as you guys but heres a simple pin made by my 10 year old. This is for the clutch fork on his tractor. Danny is not into working on the tractors as much as my older son is. Tonight he got a wild hair and wanted to work. The door was wide open. The fork is help on by a pin, or a bolt. I know I have coffee can full of them but he couldnt find one, he looked for a big 30 seconds. But when he said we could make it we did. Used a 5/8 bolt and cut it down.
DANNY TURNING 1.jpgDANNY TURNING 2.jpgDANNY TURNING 3.jpgDANNY TURNING 4.jpgDANNY TURNING 5.jpg

DANNY TURNING 1.jpg DANNY TURNING 2.jpg DANNY TURNING 3.jpg DANNY TURNING 4.jpg DANNY TURNING 5.jpg

Back