2014 POTD Thread Archive

Re: Cold saw

I can't say I've seen a chain driven cold saw.
I have seen a home made saw mill with the blade directly run off the drive shaft of a cut in half pickup. There wasn't a guard or safety device withing 2 miles of that place. Put together and run by a guy with 8 fingers named Lucky!

I'm sure you will make it safe, just couldn't pass up a good old fashion ball busting.

I don't mind the "busting". Thanks for the reply. I'm wandering in the dark here and all criticism is appreciated.

Jimmy

that is a cool steady savarin, nice job!

Here's what I did last night - rebuilt a freebie Enerpac bench press. Not bad for $40 and 2 hours in it :)

IMG_3333_zpse67330ae.jpg

Did a couple new projects last week.

A relative needed a custom winch handle with a hex head on it.

And I mounted an AccuRemote digital readout on my RongFu mill. I purchased this off eBay for like $45 and its pretty darn nice for a China made product. The downside, it does not turn off automatically and I have forgot to turn it off. Looks like I will need an extra battery on hand...

After using it one time, I don't know I got by without it! Its like a must...I want to do the X and Y axis and at lest a tailstock DRO on my lathe!

IMAG1816.jpg
IMAG1819.jpg
IMAG1833.jpg
IMAG1834.jpg

And I mounted an AccuRemote digital readout on my RongFu mill. I purchased this off eBay for like $45 and its pretty darn nice for a China made product. The downside, it does not turn off automatically and I have forgot to turn it off. Looks like I will need an extra battery on hand...

After using it one time, I don't know I got by without it! Its like a must...I want to do the X and Y axis and at lest a tailstock DRO on my lathe!

IMAG1816.jpg
IMAG1819.jpg
IMAG1833.jpg
IMAG1834.jpg

Very nice job. Winch clutch release looks fantastic.

Mike.

funnily enough it was milling the slot on the side that did it. Major damage was done by me feeding it into the cut too quickly, 2nd one was either a chip getting caught or the work shifting slightly. Either way, I gave him 3 HSS end mills as replacements, so it'll be HSS in the future either way :)

Oh, ok, thanks for the explaination. I prefer HSS over carbide in many cases. All the best.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I didn't have one and I didn't have a small enough cutter to do it with my horizontal either. I chucked it longways in my 4 jaw and drilled it from the end. Had to flip it to drill from the other end as my bit was not long enough either. =[ Good thing is, the bores met. I also learned how to dial in a rectangular piece in a 4 jaw. The bore didn't have to be real smooth so I drilled it to size. I did have some problems with it galling even though I retracted the bit to remove chips and used Tap Majic as a lube. The parts were going in the engine room of a boat so the finish wasn't critical and the rough bore finish will actually help hold the cables better.

bedwards

Yeah, the pieces looked a bit long for a straight through with 6mm drill. All's well that ends well I guess. And, you learned something so that's just great. :)) Thanks for killing my curiosity.

Hi Savarin, I was wondering why the tips of your steady fingers looked so long when I saw your last post. Now I see, it's because you have a bearing on each side of the finger. Although unusual, I don't suppose this could be any harm.

Aluminium is soft and you are likely to get some marks on it. If you tighten the fingers too hard on the Aluminium they will cold deform it. If you run the Aluminium too fast in the steady it will friction-deform.
Time is also a factor. The longer you have the work running in the steady the more it will mark.
The trick is to find a happy medium. Just hold it with the steady, don't clamp it. Turn at a medium to slow speed for the operation that you are performing. Perform the operation as quick as you are comfortable with.
If you are still getting more mark than you want on the Aluminium then you may want to try some press-fit nylon linings on your rollers.
All the best.

- - - Updated - - -

that is a cool steady savarin, nice job!

Here's what I did last night - rebuilt a freebie Enerpac bench press. Not bad for $40 and 2 hours in it :)

IMG_3333_zpse67330ae.jpg

$40 is nothing for that thing. Nice score. I like the length of the ram on it.

- - - Updated - - -

IMAG1819.jpg

Very nice. I like how you gave it a stronger collar than the original.

Well, this project has drawn to a close and was quite enjoyed. Although this is not my lathe (it belongs to a long time friend), I've used it for quite a few paid jobs in the past, (the larger jobs that my own little lathe can't handle).
As a result of this successful repair project, I got a nice stash of cash and access to the lathe for free, for life. Have I got a friend or what?

2014-05-08-all-together.jpg
Time to close the hatch on this baby.

2014-05-08-all-covers-on.jpg
Once all covers were on we ran the spindle at all its speeds for a while and she sounds just fine.

2014-05-08-back-in-action.jpg
Time for a quick test cut before calling it a day. :))

2014-05-08-all-together.jpg 2014-05-08-all-covers-on.jpg 2014-05-08-back-in-action.jpg

$40 is nothing for that thing. Nice score. I like the length of the ram on it.

thanks, I was pleasantly surprised how long it was when it was fully extended (phnar phnar!). Took a bloody long time to pump it out that far though.

Great job on that lathe, I bet your friend is pleased as punch to have someone rebuild it for him too!

I had a little time last night after completing a paying job so I thought I would tackle the new bench grinder pedestal that I have been thinking about fabricating.

I have a 1/3 hp Baldor bench grinder that has a grinding wheel on one side for sharpening drill bits and lathe tools and a wire wheel on the other that I use to clean threads on bolts. It gets used a lot and it has always been mounted on a Baldor three legged stand that I purchased at the same time nearly 20 years ago. It has always been too short for me but I never took the time to do anything about it. Stupid I know.:eyecrazy: I feel like I have to get on my knees to sharpen a drill bit, dress a lathe tool or clean a bolt off.

I decided to fabricate a new stand and make it a little nicer than the mass produced, store bought one I have had in the shop all these years.

I started with a CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) and then cut out four pieces of 12-gauge P&O for the base. It will be like a four-sided pyramid.
23usb6e.jpg

Here are the four pieces TIG welded together. I have had a piece of 3.5"x .187 wall square tubing left over from a previous job that I am tired of storing so it will get used as the main body/vertical column, hence the 3.5" square hole in the middle.
2aj5qf9.jpg

2556tfs.jpg

I then took a piece of 1.5"x .187" strip and slit it down the middle to make four pieces of 3/4" wide x .187" thick to weld to the base as a small riser in which will hide the feet on the underside. Here is the welded and metal finished with the 3/4" riser added to the bottom.
2v0cr61.jpg

jpg4rl.jpg

Now all that is needed is to insert the square tube, weld it in place, mount the plate for the mounting of the grinder, add some feet to the underside of the base and I think I am going to make a small tray to store the wheel surfacing tool on and then paint it machinery gray and use the crap out of it. It will be nice to have it a little taller after all these years.

More pictures will follow as I complete it.

Mike.

Back