2014 POTD Thread Archive

I haven't been on here for a while and I see some great projects going on, good work guys!

I'm busy making a rotating table for cake decorating from scrap, here's a pic of the bearing brackets.
bearing brackets.jpg

To bore the holes relative to the punched center I needed a way to center the work in the 4 jaw chuck. I ended up making an improvised toolpost holder for my dial indicator and a spring loaded pin to be held between centres.
dtiholder.jpgpin.jpg

And in action.
centering.jpg

Still need to do a lot more work! Definitely going to refine the pin design.

bearing brackets.jpg dtiholder.jpg pin.jpg centering.jpg

Last edited:
That would be a nice way of clocking up irregular shapes in the 4-jaw too. Thanks for posting Carlos.

I haven't been on here for a while and I see some great projects going on, good work guys!

I'm busy making a rotating table for cake decorating from scrap, here's a pic of the bearing brackets.

Nice work, I don't think a cake could be so heavy to require tapered roller bearings!

P.S.: We would be glad to see some cake photos, too :)

I never got a key for the chuck on my lathe, so I made one out of scrap. The 3/8 small breaker bar was too loose, this fits perfect.
KEY1.jpgKEY2.jpgKEY3.jpgKEY5.jpgKEY6.jpg

KEY1.jpg KEY2.jpg KEY3.jpg KEY5.jpg KEY6.jpg

carlos
"
To bore the holes relative to the punched center I needed a way to center the work in the 4 jaw chuck. I ended up making an improvised toolpost holder for my dial indicator and a spring loaded pin to be held between centres. "

I have center drilled square parts and then use the dead center in the tail stock to hold it against the face of the chuck as I adjust in the jaws. It gets pretty close for a starting point.
steve

I finally got boxes done to organize my taps and dies. I had them stored in a big flat drawer but I didn't like them banging together and hated having to search for sizes. I do have a set for larger sizes but never can afford a nice set of smaller ones. I usually buy what I need when I need it and I get lots from junk sales so I have lots of ones in the same size and not every size.

100_9399.JPG100_9400.JPG100_9402.JPG

The boxes are old Cd cases the local Library was tossing out. The liners are .75" blue foam I cut with a CNC router to match each size. The end labels have the thread size, major dia., Minor Dia., tap drill at 50% and 75% and clearance drill size. I already need to build another rack to start metric taps.

Jeff

100_9399.JPG 100_9400.JPG 100_9402.JPG

carlos,

For aligning a center point in a 4-jaw chuck I made a "wobbler". Not my invention...several on Google Images. I added the small scale in the talestock chuck to give me a reference on my adjustments.

Ken

Wobbler1.jpgwobbler0.jpgWobbler2.jpg

Wobbler1.jpg wobbler0.jpg Wobbler2.jpg

I finally got boxes done to organize my taps and dies.

Wonderful, well done!
I'll imagine your next project will be a "robotic retriever" to pick the right box: having them all the same size and well ordered it's not too difficult :)

Back