2014 POTD Thread Archive

This is for the Dew Games, a 2 day ski and snowboard event at our SnowFlex Center, the only year round ski area in the US. It hangs from the lift the full weekend. We didn't have a problem until the safety interlock on the hydraulics slowed the machine down due to being past the 15 degree boom elevation, then the side tilt couldn't keep up with the slope roll off. If I hadn't dropped the display to the ground when I did, the whole thing would have rolled over. Ended up destroying one of the LED modules at a cost of $10k, but that's better than the alternative. This is the third year we have done this though next year they want a bigger display so we will be using a 500 ton crane at the bottom of the hill and booming out about 250' to the set up site.

Chuck

Almost the only year round ski resort. Timberline on Mt Hood here in Oregon is another, the Olympic teams train here in the summer.

Since to bring a 3×4 meters gazebo deck inside the shop to fix some tasty boards (tasty from the point of view of some #@!?# insects!) was a bit difficult, I moved part of the shop outside:

outside_shop.jpg

Next autumn I'll replace the whole deck floor, but now I have to "patch" it. The fact I'll use iron bars and nuts&bolts instead of fancy joints tells a lot about my woodworker skills :rofl:
The cement block supporting the boards can be defined "bricklayer jack", rather than machinist jack…

outside_shop.jpg

I finished a camjack knurler after seeing this thread.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=camjack+knurler
just some scrap I had there and only the drill, files and angle grinder to cut everything.
Many thanks.
camjack-knurler.jpg

the proof it works, this is just a bit of practice alluminium.

result.jpg
Not brilliant but the best knurl I've ever produced
However, some more work is required as on small diameters on steel it pulls or pushes the tool post around.
I really must get round to finishing the compound mod or make a plinth.

camjack-knurler.jpg result.jpg

Since to bring a 3×4 meters gazebo deck inside the shop to fix some tasty boards (tasty from the point of view of some #@!?# insects!) was a bit difficult, I moved part of the shop outside:

View attachment 77458

Next autumn I'll replace the whole deck floor, but now I have to "patch" it. The fact I'll use iron bars and nuts&bolts instead of fancy joints tells a lot about my woodworker skills :rofl:
The cement block supporting the boards can be defined "bricklayer jack", rather than machinist jack…

Marco with that angle grinder and vice down there it looks like a rats workbench. :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

I finished a camjack knurler after seeing this thread.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=camjack+knurler
just some scrap I had there and only the drill, files and angle grinder to cut everything.
Many thanks.
View attachment 77471

That's pretty unorthodox Savarin. I like new ideas. I've been thinking of developing a method to do knurling by single pointing and chasing like they used to do some threading in the old days. Don't know if I'll ever get round to though.

Marco with that angle grinder and vice down there it looks like a rats workbench. :rofl:

Then wait to see when I'll use the drill press to bore the tables!
30 holes ø 20 mm, depth 6 mm, to sink carriage bolts heads are not a funny thing to be done with a hand drill… specially if there is a small drill press available (head turned backwards and lowered, with a bag of cement on the lower table as counterweight).

My bicycles wheels are in bad shape so, this weekend I've decided to do something about it. I have about 10 old 26" bicycle wheels just corroding outside in the yard so, I plan to salvage different parts of different wheels to end up with at least two good ones.
The only thing that will be new on these wheels will be the tires and the bearings.
2014-05-24-wheel-repair.jpg
I found placing the wheel between the two tables of my pantograph makes a good disassembly and assembly spot.
2014-05-24-hubs-buffed.jpg
Buffed the hubs on Mr Buzy. They look like new now :)).

2014-05-24-wheel-repair.jpg 2014-05-24-hubs-buffed.jpg

savarin, I think you'll find that if you open the knurler up a bit more and crank it in so that the wheels are right at the top and bottom of the work piece, you'll have a bit more power to press in the knurls and it may not move around quite as much. You probably won't need to use a wrench on the jack screw. It's about 5 to one power advantage, at least on mine.

I recently knurled an 8" long wrench handle without having to support the end with the tailstock. Only possible if the wheels are centred on the work.

Reactions: DHJ
Back