2014 POTD Thread Archive

Dang that motor plate and pulley are beautiful. They should mounted over the mantel in the house not buried inside a machine.

Master of unfinished projects

Jim,
Much much better ! ... great having the right tools and machines and of course the know how.
Nice six jaw, where do you find it perform's best ?
Look's like your Dad owes you about 200 buck's : )
lol

Thanks. This was the first day I had the 6-jaw (used). My old 3-jaw was well worn and didn't center within 15 thou, even after grinding the jaws. On the first mounting, this one was within 2 thou, plus it has fine tuning, if I can figure that out. I'm sure a new three jaw would be accurate also, but I got a pretty good deal on this Pratt-Bernerd.
Jack

A lot guys have made chuck keys that were truly works of art so this is crude in comparison. I needed a pair of chuck keys to help me get my 4 jaw dialed in so I went to Home Despot and picked up 3 ft of 3/8 square stock for a few bucks. I really didn't have the time for turning, milling and welding. While I was at it I made a T wrench for the socket head screws holding the lathe bits in my QCTP. I was tired of fiddling with those little allen keys. Not pretty but it was cheap, quick and they work well.

four jaw chuck wrench.JPG

A lot guys have made chuck keys that were truly works of art so this is crude in comparison. I needed a pair of chuck keys to help me get my 4 jaw dialed in so I went to Home Despot and picked up 3 ft of 3/8 square stock for a few bucks. I really didn't have the time for turning, milling and welding. While I was at it I made a T wrench for the socket head screws holding the lathe bits in my QCTP. I was tired of fiddling with those little allen keys. Not pretty but it was cheap, quick and they work well.

Nice concept.

psychodelicdan
Re: POTD - Project of the Day- What Did You Do in Your Shop Today?

Dang that motor plate and pulley are beautiful. They should mounted over the mantel in the house not buried inside a machine.

Master of unfinished projects

Thank you for the kind comments.

I made an aluminum strawberry today for a friend. Seems he has the idea to wrap bacon(maple flavored) around a strawberry and then dip it in chocolate. He needed a form to wrap the bacon around while it was frying on the stovetop.
I'll be interested to see if it tastes as good as he claims it does.
This is my first post. hope the pic comes thru

SANY0170.JPG

I made an aluminum strawberry today for a friend. Seems he has the idea to wrap bacon(maple flavored) around a strawberry and then dip it in chocolate. He needed a form to wrap the bacon around while it was frying on the stovetop.

Nice strawberry :)
I suspect the bacon have to be turned often to fry evenly, when rolled.
What about a step motor to turn it? A sort of CNC cooking :biggrin:

Now I like strawberrys, really like bacon and I love chocolate. But I would not even consider them together!
Nice aluminum strawberry.

John

By any chance, does your friend live somewhere in Texas???:thinking: The very concept of a bacon-wrapped strawberry dipped in chocolate sounds SO like something you'd find at the Texas State Fair in Dallas!:rofl:

"Pretty good, though" - (U Utah Phillips, in an entirely different context)

By any chance, does your friend live somewhere in Texas???:thinking: The very concept of a bacon-wrapped strawberry dipped in chocolate sounds SO like something you'd find at the Texas State Fair in Dallas!:rofl:

"Pretty good, though" - (U Utah Phillips, in an entirely different context)

Even if the idea of associating strawberries, chocolate and fried bacon can seem ugly to some (BTW, in Italy we eat dry-cured ham with cantaloupe as appetizer), I think a machinist must make whatever is required by a client, of course giving all the necessary indications and suggestions coming from his knowledge and experience about safety, robustness of the piece, and maintenance of it: eventual other suggestions about the scope, even if sometimes are advisable (i.e. if someone want to make a chocolate dipped whole moose…) are beyond the strict machinist role.
Writing my last book about the Internet I found this citation, which seems to fit perfectly:
«Frequently the messages have meaning; […] These semantic aspects of communication are irrelevant to the engineering problem.»
(Claude Shannon, A Mathematical Theory of Communication, 1948 - source)
And now we want to know how those strawberries taste :biggrin:

Back