2014 POTD Thread Archive

Fellow machinist, I'm bored and several have asked me to place videos on the parts I'm manufacturing. How about you fellows choose a complicated part, not too big, not too small so we can all learn without making complicated tools. I will step by step work out the part from the beginning, listening to your suggestions and showing pics and videos of it....shoot out! If the administrators want, we can open a new forum

that sounds like a good idea Syaminab
manual or cnc
either way It would probably be better in it's own thread with updates posted in here.
myself I'd like to learn how to contour in z and also 4th axis work if your thinking of a cnc project, an article I can refer back to as needed because I'm sure i'll forget lol
steve

that sounds like a good idea Syaminab
manual or cnc
either way It would probably be better in it's own thread with updates posted in here.
myself I'd like to learn how to contour in z and also 4th axis work if your thinking of a cnc project, an article I can refer back to as needed because I'm sure i'll forget lol
steve
Well, propose a part..

OK I am going to try to insert a video. As to how it runs, there is an eccentric on each end of the crankshaft that drive the valves on the ends of the cylinder blocks. The valves are timed so that as the piston reaches top dead center the valve opens and allows the compressed air into the cylinder. Much like most steam engines. Each cylinder gets a hit of air on each revolution so 4 power strokes per rev. As to how long.... it was about 2.5-3 months of some weekends and most evenings. My better half doesn't mind my time in the shop. She's a great gal. Hope the video works. I kept it to 10-15 psi otherwise it moves to fast to see anything.

Attachments

• video-2014-06-11-19-41-21.mp4
    24.9 MB · Views: 96
OK I am going to try to insert a video. As to how it runs, there is an eccentric on each end of the crankshaft that drive the valves on the ends of the cylinder blocks. The valves are timed so that as the piston reaches top dead center the valve opens and allows the compressed air into the cylinder. Much like most steam engines. Each cylinder gets a hit of air on each revolution so 4 power strokes per rev. As to how long.... it was about 2.5-3 months of some weekends and most evenings. My better half doesn't mind my time in the shop. She's a great gal. Hope the video works. I kept it to 10-15 psi otherwise it moves to fast to see anything.
Very cool to watch, I bet it was fun to do. Thanks for sharing.

photo-21.jpg

Little project but it worked great. I had two of those hoses for the garden that have stiff about 4 inch coils in them. Pull it out and it expands. One of the ends broke so I was able to take this piece of steel on my lathe drill it out and turn the sides to shape to hold the hoses together. Hose ends pushed very tightly over the ends and it worked great. Few minute project compared to some things posted here but it is what I did.

Little project but it worked great. I had two of those hoses for the garden that have stiff about 4 inch coils in them. Pull it out and it expands. One of the ends broke so I was able to take this piece of steel on my lathe drill it out and turn the sides to shape to hold the hoses together. Hose ends pushed very tightly over the ends and it worked great. Few minute project compared to some things posted here but it is what I did.

You have now joined the ranks of hobby machinist
Over engineering some thing because you can !
Nice work
:))

Syaminab: after giving it more thought a non cnc project covering good basic machine work would probably be more beneficial to others. my request would not be helpful to as many people .

Cadillac STS: your splice looks nice and fits a need, that is the best place to begin.
you did a good job.
steve

- - - Updated - - -

jimbo
your motor is great I'd love to see pics of all the parts involved if you have them.
it's really smooth
steve

Syaminab: after giving it more thought a non cnc project covering good basic machine work would probably be more beneficial to others. my request would not be helpful to as many people .

Cadillac STS: your splice looks nice and fits a need, that is the best place to begin.
you did a good job.
steve

- - - Updated - - -

jimbo
your motor is great I'd love to see pics of all the parts involved if you have them.
it's really smooth
steve
uups, I only have a hardinge and a bench drill as of conventional equipment....I think then hawkeye or bill gruby would be best for conventionals.

It also saved you a trip to the store!

Back