2015 POTD Thread Archive

installed some nice bright green felt to wipe the chips off the ways before they get embedded.
On my 9x20 the wipers are rubber and wipe the chips off so well that it looks as if all the oil is removed as well.
Do you think it would be better to use the felt wipers? They should leave a smattering of oil I would think.

I chose felt, to not wipe the oil off, but keep out foreign bodies. Not really a well thought decision, but somewhat logical. I don't know what the professionals use.

I would think that removing the foreign bodies but not the oil is a better method.

I have the 3VS, little older but also use a 3hp inverter, from mitsubishi

Does your mill have a manual dial for increasing and slowing the speed as well as the inverter, or just the inverter like Sandia"s ?

No machining was going on last night but I was able to get a clients 1975 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser completed and out of the shop.

Mike.

Mine has the dial varispeed, just like the Bport, I added the inverter so I didn't have to use my homemade rotary converter

heres my mill, i finally cleaned it the other day, took about 3hrs to get the built up dried oil and chips off of all the surfaces, very hard work, i soaked Orange Power on it to aid in loosening it up
20150730_080424.jpg

Last edited:
I like the versatility of the Bridgeport type machines, but have always wondered how much rigidity is given up for that versatility. Looking at the picture, there are four joints between the vertical column and the head. My Quality Machine PM25 has 1) the dovetails on the column and 2) the head pivot. The Acer, above, and most others, have 1) the head pivot, 2) the head nod pivot, 3) the ram, and 4) the column pivot. In addition are (5 the dovetails on the column for the knee.

I suppose the mass of the larger machine makes up a lot of that, though, just my observations. My first milling job was on a Lucas horizontal, with a 4 by 7 foot bed and a 4" diameter spindle. That had mass to it.

Back