2015 POTD Thread Archive

Mighty nice looking waffles! Is that the old jaw (with the diagonal waffle pattern) in the background?

Should heve a hook at the base of the handle to hang in a display cabinet. It is too pretty to bash stuff with:acne:.
John.

Yes that's an old jaw, and no I don't have a dro, the cuts were all spaced .075 apart in x and y

Flat knurling on a mill - gotta love it! What grade of steel is it and do you plan on hardening it?

the handle has 12 flutes done with a ball nose
View attachment 108718

Extremely course, straight knurling on a shaft, again done on a mill. Very inventive thinking! A thing of beauty!

Chevydyl- that hammer is great! That is on my list as a lathe noob- your weld looks fantastic as well- I am curious why you chose a weld over threading for the head?

I chose welding cause I can make somewhat pretty welds in stainless, it was "fitting" to the design, which the entire hammer was made on the fly.
I thought I ruined the head when I used a hi-speed radius form tool to make those 2 lines, extreme chatter, but luckely I had a small fine round file to clean it up, it was bad. The 304ss was very well behaved, it tapped without any problems, and never once work hardened. I made two arbors to make the parts for the hammer, one for the faces and one for the head. I also somehow, crashed when I was turning the acetal, I was taking .200 per side, I think it got to hot and melted, anyway it released from the chuck lol, with 2 huge gouges taken out of it. Back to the band saw for a new piece. The head started as inch and a half diameter, it ended at 1.460. All stainless turning was done with an Iscar QNMG TF insert, alum I used a Seco insert made for alloy steel, it has a similar geometry of alum cutting inserts, high posi rake, polished.
The vise jaw is just A36 plate, the stock one isn't that hard, cut easily with a dull file lol. I don't plan on doing any heat treating, it won't get used very often, the vise is in a remote location where I work. Some gorilla a few years ago put a piece of pipe in the straight jaws and broke the screws off in the vise body, then the jaw got lost, (the Wilton 5A has pipe jaws btw, which are also broke to be made later)

Jpower, you won't be able to flute without a mill and an indexer or rotary table. The handle I bored the radius into the handle to match the head, then used a center in the spindle to hold it in line with the head while I welded, that way I could square it up in two planes.
20150809_200920.jpg
20150811_134553.jpg

Back