2015 POTD Thread Archive

You will find springer that the threaded arbor drive unit is very very useful, in the hammer build I showed i made two arbors to make the different components of the hammer. Here is another one I made for facing about .300 of this pump impeller, nice job on the tube, what's it for?
20150811_200304.jpg

Last edited:
in the spirit of threading, this stuff is pretty cool. wish i would have bought a lathe capable a long time ago. kind of like a lathe itself, once you have one, you can't remember how you got along without it before. now that i can thread ANYTHING, i can see all sorts of problems it will solve.]

I neede some U-bolts that were extra long. I did not have a lathe at the time so I had to purchase them, but now I will not be subject to the hardware stores limited selection and high prices! :D

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Completed the last and final addition to the steampunk USB/120v outlet and floor stand lamp, the wire bulb cages. Everyone likes the bored out gate valve with an epoxied in rotary switch. I finally found the right bulbs for the application to make it not so harsh and the wife even likes it, especially now that the cages dress it up a bit. Fun, useful project and I'm already scrounging for a bar top version as a gift for my Brother In Law's poker room.

lamp%202_zps6aosnbga.jpg

Last edited:
Completed the last and final addition to the steampunk USB/120v outlet and floor stand lamp, the wire bulb cages. Everyone likes the bored out gate valve with an epoxied in rotary switch. I finally found the right bulbs for the application to make it not so harsh and the wife even likes it, especially now that the cages dress it up a bit. Fun, useful project and I'm already scrounging for a bar top version as a gift for my Brother In Law's poker room.

Entirely Excellent ! I love steam punk.
lamp%202_zps6aosnbga.jpg

Put together a Trammel for my Mill to check the spindle alignment. I noticed a few nights ago while doing a test face milling on a piece of scrap that it milled off more on one side than the other. So I made the Trammel after watching the video from Metal Tips and Tricks "DIY Spindle Square". It was pretty simple. Works great as I found my head was .003 off on the G0704 even though it shows it set at 0 on the dial.

upload_2015-8-20_22-28-24.png

upload_2015-8-20_22-28-35.png

Made a big brass knob and some little stainless screws today.
The brass is a chunk of sprue from some casting and the screws are 3mm dia and 40mm long, all to hold the telescope clutch together.
knob and screws.jpg
I was pleasantly surprised the 3mm screws came out so well as I cant find any commercial ones this length locally.
You can just see a touch of shrinkage in the very centre of the brass but as the middle is bored for 12mm thread it is ok.

Last edited:
Made a big brass knob and some little screws today.
The brass is a chunk of sprue from some casting and the screws are 3mm dia and 40mm long, all to hold the telescope clutch together.
I was pleasantly surprised the 3mm screws came out so well as I cant find any commercial ones this length locally.
You can just see a touch of shrinkage in the very centre of the brass but as the middle is bored for 12mm thread it is ok.

good work on the screws and as far as the brass work goes, shiny draws the attention, not the blemishes only you know about...

pete

It was 78 degrees Fahrenheit outside today, yet it was snowing in the garage - swarf that is. It was flying everywhere! Using my Suburban style fly cutter to surface a cast aluminum housing for a commercial potato peeler. I love this flycutter!!! If anyone has the equipment, time and material, I highly recommend you make one of these. I was taking an eight inch swath but didn't center the cutter so had a one inch section to clean up with a third pass. 500 rpm, .010 deep at 7-1/2"/min.

View attachment 108672 View attachment 108673
It was 78 degrees Fahrenheit outside today, yet it was snowing in the garage - swarf that is. It was flying everywhere! Using my Suburban style fly cutter to surface a cast aluminum housing for a commercial potato peeler. I love this flycutter!!! If anyone has the equipment, time and material, I highly recommend you make one of these. I was taking an eight inch swath but didn't center the cutter so had a one inch section to clean up with a third pass. 500 rpm, .010 deep at 7-1/2"/min.

View attachment 108672 View attachment 108673
Dear JOHN
Beautiful. Just lovely. Sure eye candy - that cutter of Yours.
Been waiting, scouting, contemplating on this for quite some time as I have a spare R8-22 Holder we could use.
This is just up our alley, thankfully.
Do U have some basic Dimensions for the CUTTER which U could favour us with kindly ??? Inserts - we just got that shape in recently as well. This plan should all just get together perfectly, albeit with some kind informative assistance from your good self.
Would highly appreciate that.
TIA
aRM

Back