2015 POTD Thread Archive

And the reason they don't recommend large diameter face Mills and fly cutters is because of the splines and dog clutch, the interrupted cuts beat the snot out of those splines and teeth, also the key on the varispeed pulleys, as shown in my previous post, I had to have the shaft of the motor machined to accept a larger step key, I went that route rather than just turning the shaft 90 and cutting a standard key
I'm in the process of turning new acetal bushings, they were non existent when taken apart, so it's been running on .020 clearance between the motor shaft and pulley

That is so cool! Simple and functional. I love your design.:encourage:

Says the video does not have the proper extension?

Last edited:
These pictures are several weeks old. Since then I've gotten most of the bugs out. Need a better vibrator on the hopper. Sorted out a whole bucket of brass today. Seemed to do good.

Started making a 6" lathe chuck adapter plate on my Tormach mill to be able to mount it to the mill table. I plan to use the cnc mill to cut circular profiles in nylon i used to do on the lathe. Lathe works good but produces stringy birds nests of swarf. The mill makes chips plus no turning on cranks
Running dry. 1/2" dia carbide cutter, A36 temper pass material, .06 doc
.375 woc 1500rpm 12.5ipm

Ditched the factory low voltage light on the new Bolton for a retro desk/drafting light I nabbed at a fleamarket.
uploadfromtaptalk1440302600200.jpg

It makes a lot of diffrence in being able to see what your turning! It has enough reach to cover the full length of the bed.
uploadfromtaptalk1440302727477.jpg

I may spraypaint it silver. I think it will look better than "turd brown".

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Back