2015 POTD Thread Archive

Arm, I suggest you scour the Internet and suburban website and videos, altho I'm sure John will happily oblige.

ARM, sorry for the late reply. Dishwasher feed hose broke at the fitting, flooding the kitchen and entire basement. Water in kitchen ran into the heat duct which fed the ductwork with water coming out of every heat duct downstairs and every joint in the ductwork, flooded the washing machine till it kicked out, finally flooding my new furnace until it kicked out. Fans and vacuums on the go as I type, from cleanup crew. Will need a new laminate floor in workshop and a basement bathroom rebuild ceiling to floor tiles. Some minor drywall damage in partially finished recroom. Enough of my problems.

Anyways ARM, the main body of the flycutter is hot rolled 1018 - 3.750" X 2" tall with tapered corners. Cutting tool holder was made from 8" x 1.250" x .750" 4140 grade. The 1.250" section was machined down to 1" except for the section that holds the carbide. The .750" x 1" slot for the holder runs through the center of the main body and holder sits flush to the bottom. Look at the pics for the angle of the carbide seat. The cutter tip sits a few thou behind dead center of the main body and tool holder. You can make the tool holder any length you dare or think your R8 holder and mill motor will support. Make sure your mill is perfectly trammed in. Cheers....

20150730_214259.jpg 20150730_214350.jpg20150731_134058.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool flycutter.
Ugh the water damage thing sounds like a nightmare. Hope the homeowners ins will cover you but boy what a royal PITA. Sorry man.

Thanks Cheeseking. PITA is right. Insurance will cover after $400 deductible. They are going to have to move my whole workshop to replace the laminate flooring. That alone should take two guys at least two days and then back again. That's without moving my lathe. It took 6 months to settle where it is and they aren't moving it. My metal supply card filing cabinet has two tons of metals in it alone! That's a conservative estimate!

Update to the water leak. Turns out that the water filter in the Kenmore fridge split open, causing the flood, not the dishwasher as previously thought.

Last edited:
That suburban knock off looks quite genuine lol, said it before I'll say it again great job.
John are you using any cad software when you plan out some of your projects?

For the first time since September, I made some chips today. I'm rebuilding my shop after the fire. While cleaning the floor drill press, the table crank broke. It was plastic. I'm turning a steel hub for the new crank on the Storebro lathe. Does it ever feel good! If I get a chance to take a picture when it's done, I'll post it.

Once the shop is finished, I'll post the rebuild. I finally moved back into my house on June 15.

ARM, sorry for the late reply. Dishwasher feed hose broke at the fitting, flooding the kitchen and entire basement. Water in kitchen ran into the heat duct which fed the ductwork with water coming out of every heat duct downstairs and every joint in the ductwork, flooded the washing machine till it kicked out, finally flooding my new furnace until it kicked out. Fans and vacuums on the go as I type, from cleanup crew. Will need a new laminate floor in workshop and a basement bathroom rebuild ceiling to floor tiles. Some minor drywall damage in partially finished recroom. Enough of my problems.

Anyways ARM, the main body of the flycutter is hot rolled 1018 - 3.750" X 2" tall with tapered corners. Cutting tool holder was made from 8" x 1.250" x .750" 4140 grade. The 1.250" section was machined down to 1" except for the section that holds the carbide. The .750" x 1" slot for the holder runs through the center of the main body and holder sits flush to the bottom. Look at the pics for the angle of the carbide seat. The cutter tip sits a few thou behind dead center of the main body and tool holder. You can make the tool holder any length you dare or think your R8 holder and mill motor will support. Make sure your mill is perfectly trammed in. Cheers....

View attachment 109158 View attachment 109159View attachment 109162
Dear John
At the outset allow me to sympathise on Your catastrophe. Only consolation we can offer as an after thought though is that no loved one was affected in any way. And at the end of the day, that's what really matters. These material ephemeral utilities can all be replaced, with even better, LORD Willling - but life and limb are all irreplaceable. Also, no reason to apologise. We are worlds away in different time zones and do understand U Guys also have commitments etc. and we have no real absolute urgency. This is a hobby after all.

Much appreciate the specs. These now give us ballpark dimensions to work towards. We note U have an ISO 40 type Holder which must be for a (no-doubt) robust machine. Although ours is a Bridgeport clone we reckon it would be able to cope and handle the stresses supposedly generated by this Tool. Obviously we would need take minimal depth of cuts and monitor feed rates etc.

And finally, hopefully without being misconstrued, we look at the irony of life around us. One of us has fire damages whilst another experiences water damages and each one of us is sort of tested (to the limit) as to how we will handle the problem and come out of it. These definitely make U a better person as and when "U weather the storms of life". Think about it, U take after JOHN the Baptist after all, except that water here was used to test your patience to the utmost limit. I am no preacher nor Christian but merely intend some consolatory upliftment for Your kindness.
LORD BLESS
aRM

I did something yesterday that I haven't done in a long time - turned between centers.

I had a couple of horizontal cutters that I wanted to use on my mill. The problem was that they had a 3/4" internal diameter and I didn't have an arbor to fit. I did have a reasonably straight 3/4" bolt. So I chucked it up and center drilled it.

Now perhaps I should explain. I have a South Bend 9A and a 9C. I had been using the 9C with a Palmgren milling attachment for slots, etc. to leave the mini mill open. Since I just got my horizontal mill up and running I decided that I didn't need to leave that setup on the lathe. So I decided to set one of the SBs up to turn between centers.

I must admit it took a while to find the faceplate, headstock center, and the right size dog. Once I did though it went pretty quickly. I removed the scale from the bolt and turned down the end to fit into a collet. I'm thinking I'll probably be doing more things like this. Way quicker than than adjusting a four jaw chuck.

Back