2015 POTD Thread Archive

What is needed is a low speed high torque 1/2 inch drill motor that has the auxiliary handle that screws in to be able to hold it on both sides. Get one for that purpose only and leave the adapter in place all the time so it is at hand whenever needed.

That's what I have. I tried it one handed and other than a wicked initial twist it would move the head up, just had to work hard doing it. Google "Milwaukie Hole Shooter", big, red, half inch drill motor that can hurt you if you are not careful. I plan on keeping it near the mill from know on, don't use it that often anymore as I have better tools to drill holes with now. :)

That has always been my feeling.
As a noob I found them interesting videos but way too long.Which is a shame because he obviously knows what he is talking about and has taken a lot of care with them.

Yeah, unfortunately, a lot of internet instructional videos are much like having to listen to the complete instructions for deploying the holy hand grenade.

I usually use my pointer and move the videos ahead if I get bored. Also for video clarity many don't use cutting fluids while in most shops at least a little is used.

What works for some may not work with your machine. Just do your best and keep asking questions.

They might be pretty basic to you experienced guys but for the new guy to machining they are a wealth of information. I've learned a ton watching Tom Lipton's videos, often just little tricks to save time/steps to the job. Great stuff, along with forums such as this one. It would be very hard to learn without a little help and since I'm in my own shop I don't have a coworker or mentor to ask.

I always seemed obvious to me Mr. Pete's videos were intended for novices so their detail doesn't bother me. I also like Tom Lipton and this guy https://www.youtube.com/user/TheToolandDieGuy
It's a lot of work putting together a well illustrated instructional video. I wish I had that kind of time. :)

Even for the most inexperienced newbie machinist, even a half-butted produced video could convey his distaste for cordless drills, which went on for 2 minutes and all the information contained was incorrect and specious.

Newbies, don't believe him. Cordless drill batteries (even Craftsman) last more than 30 seconds!

If it takes a presenter more than 10 minutes before they get around to demonstrating what was promised in the title of the video, I lose interest.

I use my cordless snap on drill in low gear to power feed all the time, both x and y
Note that you can only feed in the clockwise direction of the screw, mine happens to use 3/4 nuts to hold the handles on, you can't make the cut then back the table up, have to crank by hand or walk to the other side of the table

Last edited:
Back