2015 POTD Thread Archive

I have solution for that. I dump the stacks in boxes. I still never sort the boxes, but they appear neater until you look inside.

I tried that but ended up with stacks of boxes......
-brino

I tried that but ended up with stacks of boxes......
-brino
So did I, but stacks of boxes look neater than stacks of piles. And you can pile them higher before they fall over. Besides, it's how my dad did it. I stll have unsorted boxes from his shop.

Franko, why not jack it up and then lower it down on some solid blocks or tubes with an end plate, the blocks being inside of the castors .. that will once and for all show you where the movement occurs. It might be the flexing of the steel grey mounting frame causing you problems as well as the wheels in the castor frame One thing you don't appear to have made clear is....was the machine running or not?

I made some 4x4 pieces to set it on while removing and installing the brackets, David. There was a slight movement on the wood blocks. I made some adjustments with wedges to get it sitting solid on all four corners, which tightened it up a lot.

I really don't think the steel brackets I made are flexing. The angle rests firmly against the sides and the effective caster mounting surface is over a half inch thick. The movement I see is mostly front to back, and I can easily see that the feet on the casters are what is loose. It is possible wedging the rear wheels would firm it up a little, but I don't see any side to side movement on the rear fixed wheels.

I haven't turned on the mill on the new stand. I've just shaken it. The mill didn't shake with the old wheels unless it was chattering on heavy cuts, but it had about the same movement when grabbed it and shook it. I was hoping maybe a firmer stand would reduce it tendency to chatter on heavier cuts.

It is very clear to see that the movement is the adjustable feet rattling around in the housing of the caster.

What is irritating about this is that I've used a virtually identical system on my lathe stand, and it does not move, no matter how hard you try to shake it.

This was made last night in a hurry as the item had to be used today!!!

Broken stool

A friend brought to me a drum stool that was broken

broken1.jpg

I had to figure out how to fix quickly the broken part as it is a shiny non ferrous (does not stick to magnet) casted unknownminium.

broken.jpg

CNC it with my little X2 mill would take ages and as I am a complete novice in cnc world I do not trust my abilities to handle something that complex.

Traditional approach then.

I figured out that a piece of pipe plus 3 solid steel parts if properly machined and weld together will do the job.

First I was looking for the donor steel tube.

An old rusted steel tube very close to the diameter needed, was waiting in the recycling bin.

donor.jpg

After some machining in my 7X12 minilathe I had the first part

machined pipe.jpg

Next I focused on material for the next 3 parts. A steel bar 13X13mm was looking strong enough to cut parts.

steel bar.jpg

Cutting the gap in each part required some different approach but if the proper tools are available you can work it out.

cutter.jpg

Just needed a careful setup.

cutting setup.jpg

Cutting was done quickly and within expected tolerances

cutted parts1a.jpg

All parts were ready to setup and weld them together (of course some cleaning with the file needed)

parts setup1.jpg

After welding and some spray paint I could say “JOB DONE”

Finished1.jpg

Drum Stool is ready for the drummer.

Ready to use.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Petros

Brilliant day - resolved some alignment issues - got the lathe cutting nicely without any taper on a 5" x 1" bar sitting in the chuck with no tail support.

Got the lathe cutting straight with no taper between centres.

Cut 2 x "baby" MT3 tapers - compound is too short to cut a full one - I got into strife trying to cut a full one and messed up the extension so decided to do short ones - they are approx 1cm too short.

Got some nice finishes on some daggy black bar - finishing is still a bit of a lottery for me at the moment - shear tool seems to work best for me but sometimes I get a gorgeous finish but dont know what I've done right compared to last daggy one.

Left the shed in a hell of a mess - but happy.

Bill

Petcnc, nice permanent fix, much better than new and it will out live the stool. Bob

Back