2015 POTD Thread Archive

I have a friend that runs a small business, machine shop and he is always telling me "your time is worth something" I had an idea to just make the motor mounts for this conversion, but after all the time designing and whatever else, plus all the hours and hours in the shop to make em..... Yeah right, no brainer. Sometimes the cost is priceless, time away from my small children.

I wish I had more annular cutters, I only have a 1 1/16. They are do make a nice hole.
I'm really hoping that this week off I will have the mill actually doing some computer controlled cutting. Pretty close now

1. got castings home for my project milling machine.
    majority of parts are there main bit that is missing is casting and bits to raise/lower bed.
    but still lots more stuff to sort through at club so might turn up yet.
    just been cleaning it up and starting to assemble it, plan is to get it running then re-strip it and paint it.
    i have got both the spindles to use it as a horizontal and vertical mill.
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/sharpmiller/ this is link to more info on it and pics.
    off to one of guys houses tomorrow night to make the gib strips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I jumped in, what machine do you have, it looks rigid and stout.

I have a friend that runs a small business, machine shop and he is always telling me "your time is worth something" I had an idea to just make the motor mounts for this conversion, but after all the time designing and whatever else, plus all the hours and hours in the shop to make em..... Yeah right, no brainer. Sometimes the cost is priceless, time away from my small children.

I wish I had more annular cutters, I only have a 1 1/16. They are do make a nice hole.
I'm really hoping that this week off I will have the mill actually doing some computer controlled cutting. Pretty close now

Yes our time is a commodity, precious times all the way around while raising young ones. Your dedication is appreciated as my son is 27 and on his way serving for ten years. So yes they grow up fast then you miss them.
Really nice job your doing on your machine too.

its from a company called sharp that shut in mid 80s so having great fun trying to get drawings etc for it.

So I smacked the guide rail on my sigma tile cutter with the corner of a porcelain tile. This would be akin putting a ceramic bit against a way slide and tapping it with a hammer. Not good for either member of the collision. Finding a free minute today, I clamped the rail down , scraped the raised burr, and dressed the scraping burrs. Pictured is the offending burr scraped down, and Big Blue reassembled along side the can of Dapra carbide deburring spray used to make her slick as a whistle again.
DSCN1746.JPG DSCN1744.JPGDSCN1742.JPG

Back