2015 POTD Thread Archive

I had the same problem taycat. I cut the shaft the same way and I usually just keep it in. When making multiple parts I can turn, drill, pop on the wheel and thread then pop it off and start on the next part. The heavy cast iron wheel make it easy to tap threads.

DSC00937.JPG DSC00938.JPG

I made some new clamps for my truck exhaust system.

They pull the down-pipe to the exhaust manifold. They need to be split as the pipe has a seal on the end.
Made them out of stainless so it should be the last time ever on this 16 year old truck!

I copied a pattern from the old one and traced it on the nasty looking 3/16" plate....
clamp1.jpg

here's why the old one needed to be replaced....
clamp2.jpg

the tube was some stainless bar I drilled out on the lathe. Here's all the parts.....
clamp3.jpg

after welding....the gap is for the split cut...
clamp4.jpg

old and new.....
clamp5.jpg

It is the law of horizontal surfaces, John. Relentless and immutable.

The last cat I had helped me keep my desk a little neater. Any pile that got too high, she climb on top of it for a nap and knock it over. Otherwise, I would never sort stacks.

The saga of my mill stand wheels continues.
I recieved the new leveling casters today. After installing them with great expectations, I discovered they aren't any more steady than the ones I returned.

It looks like they changed the housing. The wheels that work so well on my lathe have a single opening opposite the wheel. The new design has two openings on the sides. I don't know why that would make the foot wiggle, but it wiggles none the less. I guess someone in the design engineering department found out the old design worked very well, so decided it needed to be changed.

They are closed this weekend. I guess I'll call them Monday to try to find out WTF.

I put a block of wood under the foot to facilitate moving the mill. I use a small floor jack to lift the stand up a tad, so I can spin the adjustment star nut. I can remove the wood block so the casters rest on the wheels for moving. Then back on the block for firm footing (if there is such a thing anymore).

mill casters 2_0740.JPG

It is the law of horizontal surfaces, John. Relentless and immutable.

The last cat I had helped me keep my desk a little neater. Any pile that got too high, she climb on top of it for a nap and knock it over. Otherwise, I would never sort stacks.
I have solution for that. I dump the stacks in boxes. I still never sort the boxes, but they appear neater until you look inside.

Tom, the cabinet is very solid. The movement I'm seeing is the feet inside the caster housing. It is very obvious.

Tom, the cabinet is very solid. The movement I'm seeing is the feet inside the caster housing. It is very obvious.
Franko, why not jack it up and then lower it down on some solid blocks or tubes with an end plate, the blocks being inside of the castors .. that will once and for all show you where the movement occurs. It might be the flexing of the steel grey mounting frame causing you problems as well as the wheels in the castor frame One thing you don't appear to have made clear is....was the machine running or not ?

On my 32 frame powered honey extractor drum it ran all over the place , till I set each wheel in an aluminium cup that had a cone turned in it to hold the wheel , they also had a rubber foot pad glued to the base , it stopped any tendency for it to try and go walkies when running loaded or empty .

Back