2015 POTD Thread Archive

Looks like it will work, Savarin.

All plans for what I thought I'd do today have changed.
The refrigerator went on the blink yesterday. It's 25 years old and has had the defrosting coils replaced at least 3 times already. I have to put on my cammies and go hunting for a refrigerator, or decide to have it expensively fixed one more time.

When my last fridge died, I bought a new one and used the old one for a place to put cans of paint/ spray whatevers, added a couple of hasps, and a locking semi-flam locker was born

When my last fridge died, I bought a new one and used the old one for a place to put cans of paint/ spray whatevers, added a couple of hasps, and a locking semi-flam locker was born
one more thing, I added the "bung" from a 55 gal. drum so i could flood/ fire extinguish if needed

Hey savarin, what rpm were you running that countersink? How many flutes does the cutter have. When I run my countersink tools on the mill I run in back gear, slow slow speed and there is no chatter, but if I run em fast or even at 500 rpm chatter really bad. Most of my countersink tools are single flute, the type with the through hole.

Doogledee, now make an aluminum nut, being the same material makes it more of a brain teaser.
My grandpa used to whittle these rattles that had a captive ball inside, it had 3 bars, I remember when I was younger "how'd he do that!?"

Not a bad idea, Doogledee. If I had the room, I might do that.
I think the plan for the old fridge is to let the trash truck discombobulator discombobulate it.
It is an entertaining thing to watch.
Hydraulics power is fascinating for me. I love to watch hydraulic things do hydraulic things.

:) i might have to get a lathe tool for cutting internal threads and have a go at making a nut as well. I had a little trouble grindingbthe threading tool correctly so I think maybe the internal threading tool might be beyond my grinding skills at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a tap bud... and buy the material in hex shape, and make the "bolt" of the same hex so it looks like it's all "whittled" from a solid :)

Internal threading in a blind or shoulder hole is fun, wait till you have a go at that

Hey savarin, what rpm were you running that countersink? How many flutes does the cutter have. When I run my countersink tools on the mill I run in back gear, slow slow speed and there is no chatter, but if I run em fast or even at 500 rpm chatter really bad. Most of my countersink tools are single flute, the type with the through hole.
My single flute was too small and passed through the hole so I had to use a real cheapo 6 flute at the slowest speed of my drill press that was way to fast.
I will polish them out with a wooden dowel and fine carborundum.

Back