2015 POTD Thread Archive

Tonight I made a 2MT arbor for one of the chucks I got when I bought my Lathe last year.
I got a bucket full of HSS, some Cobalt cutters. found about 8 different chucks in there also. 5 were actually Jacobs Chucks made in USA. From 1/4" to 5/8" Capacity. Made the first Arbor for the Rigid chuck using my homemade taper attachment. Threaded it for 1/2" x 20tpi. Tomorrow night I'll make another one for the 1/2" Jacobs as it's 3/8 x 24 tpi.
The taper fit perfect.
upload_2015-11-30_22-40-11.png

upload_2015-11-30_22-40-20.png

I built a custom shower bench with an aluminum hidden frame, Brazilian tigerwood bench top, dark cherry color, rainforest woods are beautiful
Would love to see your bench, I'm getting ready to build one for mine before I need one.

Thanks for the reply Tom. The bottom platform has slotted holes, but moving the motor front to back wouldn't affect the belt tension.

Greg

He is right about the adjustment of the belt, here is how that happens, there are two verticals that mount the motor, with slotted holes. The motor can be moved up or down to adjust belt tension. That stand is missing those.

What is that on the lower front section of the saw. Looks like a oil fill cup, in the picture? I'm not thinking it is for an oil bath of any sort, but I am curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
In and out, diagonal true enough, but the thing is a few 100 pounds, the web on the base 10 inches. Going to work on a rolling solution see how that will go first.

Perhaps you could ..... Cut it in half height wise , hinging the two bits , hold the two halves back together with big staples & hasps , then use two big stainless steel clam shell padlocks to lock the tower using the staples & hasps .

chevydyl,
That looks awesome.
I have been wanting to build a bigger shower 48" x 72" but am reluctant to spend $600 on the pan for the floor.
How did you anchor it to the walls?

Reactions: DHJ
The aluminum is 2x2 angle, so it's drilled and then lagged into the studs in the walls, all 3 sides are lagged.
It's a pretty special shower, steam gen, viewing windows, glass partition and door, the glass goes from the tile to the ceiling, with a steam vent, there is a hand hammered copper soaking tub on the main bathroom, heated floors custom vanity, it's pretty awesome bathroom, to the tune of about 40 grand for the remodel, which included plus sizing the structure.

He is right about the adjustment of the belt, here is how that happens, there are two verticals that mount the motor, with slotted holes. The motor can be moved up or down to adjust belt tension. That stand is missing those.

What is that on the lower front section of the saw. Looks like a oil fill cup, in the picture? I'm not thinking it is for an oil bath of any sort, but I am curious.

That would make sense for the motor mount. Spent an evening looking at images of these saws and couldn't find a single image that showed the mount.
That is the oil filler for the gear reduction unit. The saw sports two pulleys, one directly connected to the lower tire for wood cutting, and a 4 step for metal use. A shifter disengages the drive when cutting wood, for metal you remove that belt, engage the 19:1 gear reduction and connect a shorter belt between the motor and the 4 step pulley for 4 metal cutting speed down to about 120 fpm.

Greg

That would make sense for the motor mount. Spent an evening looking at images of these saws and couldn't find a single image that showed the mount.
That is the oil filler for the gear reduction unit. The saw sports two pulleys, one directly connected to the lower tire for wood cutting, and a 4 step for metal use. A shifter disengages the drive when cutting wood, for metal you remove that belt, engage the 19:1 gear reduction and connect a shorter belt between the motor and the 4 step pulley for 4 metal cutting speed down to about 120 fpm.

Greg

If you like I have the owners manual I can make a copy it shows the mount and post it. That is really cool the oiling !

But that will be later @ work for the moment

Thanks for the offer Pepi. Wish I'd posted this earlier. I downloaded the manual for this saw from Old Wood Working Machines web sight. Its dated 1946, shows all the internals and mentions a cast iron and the steel stand I have but nothing about the motor mount.
A kind offer but will probably be painting it today with the hanging mount I made yesterday.
Thanks again for the offer.

Greg

Back