2015 POTD Thread Archive

Ripthorn -- I think that is one of the few occasions where I've liked the use of zebrano. Your design has some wicked lines to it, very cool!

-frank

I built a custom shower bench with an aluminum hidden frame, Brazilian tigerwood bench top, dark cherry color, rainforest woods are beautiful

Was gifted an old Delta wood / metal bandsaw a while ago. As near as I can figure its from the 40's. Has a 19:1 gear reduction for metal cutting.
IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

Its basically in pretty good condition but thought I'd clean it up a bit. Any photos I've found show the motor mounted to the bottom platform. How do you tension the belt?
Charlie's been stripping paint for me, today I fabricated a motor mount that hinges from the top and a belt guard. The face of the guard was from an old furnace oil tank, so rusted I had to smear some primer on and sand it out to fill the pits.

IMG_1971.jpg
Would have been handy to have a metal cutting band saw to make some of the parts.

Greg

Would have been handy to have a metal cutting band saw to make some of the parts.

Ah,but that's what we work to attain, to have the tools we need for the NEXT job. Nice looking saw. I have one that has slots for the motor mount screws. I has four sizes of pulley on each end, set up for wood, I think I can slow it down to cut steel but I'm not sure about raising and lowering the motor to accommodate the pulleys.

It's a beauty of a hammer, Bellweather.

I hope you aren't going to actually use that hammer to hit something! Museum pieces should not be used as a hammer - even if they are a hammer! Absolutely stunning blend of wood and metalcraft. "A THING OF BEAUTY".
Thanks so much guys! I likely won't actually use it, it'll probably just be a display piece in the house

Thanks for the reply Tom. The bottom platform has slotted holes, but moving the motor front to back wouldn't affect the belt tension.

Greg

Started last week on some new Tap wrenches for the larger taps I have.
Got the Large one done still have to finish the medium size one.
Used a front inner axle from a 4 wheel drive my son had trashed. That is some tough stuff to turn down. Found out it is 4140. Had to use carbide tooling as HSS wasn't up to it. It was tearing more than cutting it. Terrible finish. So I switch to carbide and it turned it down pretty good.
Could only take .050 a pass before it started sounding like chatty Cathy.

Turned handles to 5/8", I like a larger grip cause the old arthritis plays hob with my hands now and then.
Milled the holder to 1/2" thick and 1.25" wide. Then milled that out to 3/4" x 1.75" for the jaws to slide in. Used a piece of 1/4" Drill Rod for the inside spindle with a return spring.
Works great and is a lot beefier than the shinese one I've been using. I can use a 3/4" tap with no problem.
Next is to harden and then temper them.

upload_2015-11-30_22-29-58.png

upload_2015-11-30_22-30-10.png

upload_2015-11-30_22-30-20.png

upload_2015-11-30_22-30-32.png

upload_2015-11-30_22-30-40.png

Back