2015 POTD Thread Archive

A customer bought a used Weather-guard tool box on CL and wanted me to design a fuel tank that would fit inside the TB. I was able to cut out 100% of the fuel tank on the cnc plasma table including the baffles, fitting penetrations and top lid. A fun job for the most part as different machines where used. The fuel tank came in around 90 gallons and he plans on running diesel until fuel prices go back up (and they will) so its biodiesel ready with filtration,heater and level sensing. I offed to plumb and wire in the new system, but he was confident he could handle the finishing touches.
I was able to use the 8' break (manual) to break three sides of the main body (long sides) to minimize plenty of weld. The areas that are welded where then coated with F-16 B-2 aircraft fuel sealant after the leak check. The material is 14 ga. and the lid is 1/8" diamond plate. The top of the baffles also are broken to support the lid in case he throws something heavy in the toolbox.
The top access cover opening is framed in with 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron with 1/4"-20 nuts welded to act as capture nuts giving the top of the tank rigidness with no oil canning.
The TB floor was cut off to slip over the new tank and welded. Then the minor body work and prime and paint to match the rig. The inside was painted black for a cleaner look.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0011.JPG
Another happy camper and on to the next project.
Merry Christmas everyone!

One of our trucks at work has a 180 gal day tank.
I've never built a fuel tank but did modify one that was in a truck bed to fit under the tonue cover, was a pretty sleek setup that would fill the trucks main tank when the level got to like half or quarter.
You sure do have all the toys firestopper lol, I'm a little jelly...

thats a lot to haul around
Sure is, but he'll be pulling a 5th wheel across the country and wants to minimize stopping for fuel. F350 7.3 power stroke. My understanding from him is the 7.3 runs good in bio.
I would not run it in my Dmax.
chevydyl, 36+ years in the fab world= accumulation of equipment. You seem to have a very good understanding on more advance computer/machining then me. I strive to learn more, but in the end find myself doing what I know best. I really enjoy this particular thread as many talented folks post a variety of cool stuff.
BTW, the apron break is pre WWII Whitney-Jenson and heavy as hell. For years, I've been telling myself to add a hydraulic system with limit switches for those long breaks, but other projects more pressing seem to detour the plan.

"You seem to have a very good understanding on more advance computer/machining then me"
probably cause im 30, my mentor tho, is like 60 something, and is a 3rd generation machinist. pretty neat to see some of the tools his dad and grandpa made, that he still uses, particularly his sine plate/vise combo, very nice.

Really nice job on the tank. Did you weld studs to the bottom of the tool box/tank to secure it to the bed? I've been working on the 70 gal. aluminum tank on my Chris Craft project. Had to cut a 4" hole where the old tiny fuel pickup went so I could clean it out. Would have been pretty simple job back in CO, but here on the island you have to make due with whats available and the few tools at hand. Can be frustrating at times, but it really gives your inner McGyver a workout.
CIMG3023.JPG

Thanks FOMOGO,
No studs, the customer insisted on mounting it to the bed rails. I did use some 3/16" X 3" flat strap on the inside of the TB to bolt through the bed rails and heavy fender washers under the bed rails. The tank bottom rested on the truck bed floor on a 1/4" rubber mat cut to fit.
70 gal. will give you some serious range when out on the water. I understand the McGyver solutions, I had done several repairs this way while out to sea on a Perry class man-of-war (USS Brewton FF1086). Once the tender arrived they would repair our fix, but many times their finished product looked like poop by comparison.
Aluminum is really my favorite material for fuel tanks, way easier to break and with a good spool gun set up, a snap to weld up with beautiful shinny beads.

whats with all the bottles? lol floatation incase she goes down?

You hit it on the head. As I said, here you have to use what have. The bottles are sealed and will be foamed in to prevent movement before the new deck gets glassed in. The Puerto Rico trench is 6000 ft deep and is a major Hammer Head shark breeding ground. Flotation, no matter the type is a very good thing should something go south. Unlike your Chevy, you can't just pull over to the side of the road and wait for a Ford guy to come give you a hand. ;) Mike

Back