2015 POTD Thread Archive

Found out yesterday that every company/trade on the job site I am on was to provide something made by them for our Christmas, Oopps I mean trades tree.20151218_064100.jpg

So I bent up and tig welded an angel out of 1/8 AL tig wire.
20151218_064029.jpg
Had a little trouble welding the wires together.

Mark.

Here's the styli I bought, 18 bucks, genuine Renishaw. 2mm shank, 3mm ruby, 24mm shank length, 33mm from base of threads to ruby tip, love ebay, retail for this is 99 bucks. It has an m5 thread, I'll get others in the future but cheap is the name of the game.s-l1600-3.jpg

I also ordered a 2" round of 7075 aerospace aluminum for the probe body, if you go through a metal supplier, 7075 is about 3x the cost of 6061, 7075 is the stronger better aluminum, less gummy, machines better

Here's the styli I bought, 18 bucks, genuine Renishaw. 2mm shank, 3mm ruby, 24mm shank length, 33mm from base of threads to ruby tip, love ebay, retail for this is 99 bucks. It has an m5 thread, I'll get others in the future but cheap is the name of the game.View attachment 116879
I'll have to check eBay. Unfortunately, I had already made the probe for a M3 thread. When I did the design, I looked at what was available and went from there. I have no idea which thread size is the most popular.

I am not expecting super accuracy for locating position. From what I have been able to find, even the active probes are only reliable to about a thousandth and I can do better than that with my edge finder and spindle mounted DTI.

Mostly, I am doing for the challenge. Like you, I am interested in the ability to do digital profiling.

Bob

there is a bunch of different threads sizes, so if I am unable to get a new one of the same M5 thread when I break it or need a longer styli I will just make another spider, that was pretty easy to do, the setup was the most time consuming part, having to put my super spacer on the mill, but it has locating keys so its generally quick, unless the part is long enough that I have to remove the kurt

my ebay search was Renishaw styli or stylus

I made a circle cutter for my dad's bandsaw:

The compartment is for the pins and small hardware that he will lose anyway.

I see our fathers have the same affliction! :D

The compartment is for the pins and small hardware that he will lose anyway.

That pocket is a great idea, I may need to incorporate some into my various jigs.......
-brino

FullSizeRender.jpg made some trammel points for myself.

1/2" stainless rod
1/2 hole in the middle with 5/16 course threaded both ends

2 skate bearings,
IMG_7932.JPG
with a 5/16 arbor (cut of bolt) after cramming in a 5/16 bolt and cutting the head off i spun some points
IMG_7934.JPG

IMG_7935.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG
you can also do 2 of these if you prefer
IMG_7937.JPG

IMG_7941.JPG

oh and there is a 1/4" brass rod 1/4" long under the knob bolt to save the rod from dents

Last edited by a moderator:
Back