2015 POTD Thread Archive

Good suggestions, David. I give them a try. I gave the terminals a scrub with a pencil eraser, which has worked clean the patina off contacts in other instances.
I picked up two fresh batteries from a reliable source today, just in case. The UPS guy hasn't made it here yet. Plus, I don't know for sure the batteries I ordered from Amazon will be fresh.

i
Good suggestions, David. I give them a try. I gave the terminals a scrub with a pencil eraser, which has worked clean the patina off contacts in other instances.
I picked up two fresh batteries from a reliable source today, just in case. The UPS guy hasn't made it here yet. Plus, I don't know for sure the batteries I ordered from Amazon will be fresh.

If they are in bubble /blister packs the best before date ( BBF) is usually indicated somewhere on the pack .. I've recently purchased a set of 8 x AAA 1.5 Duracell batteries carrying the BBF date of 06/ 2021 ... I may even live long enough to see then used up .
I learnt years ago when I did my secondary trade training & studies as an electronic engineer that all new sealed for life alkaline batteries have a protective film sprayed on the metal work to keep them looking like new till they are sold & put into used. This coating also goes high resistance over years so also needd cleaning off when used in micro consumption cases.

Thanks, David.

The best use date on my spares expired in 2010. Sometimes great deals one often sees on eBay are old batteries. It is best to pay attention to such things when searching for a bargain.

Yes, your assumption is correct. The offending word was the opposite of blow (which would have conveyed the same message).
Tee-hee!
Do you think this should be brought up on the changes and issues forum? Or just continue to be amused?

I haven't seen the new (remote) glass scales. Do they not have a sensor that slides on them? The scales I have are stainless and have a sliding doohicky that looks like the unit on digital calipers.
That's what the Shars scales look like. I got a response from Discount Machine (eBay seller), and just ordered a replacement 12" unit for ~$65, including shipping. Shars price is ~$63 before shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330386076372&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

DavidH (member of this forum) sells iGaging scales, which have remote readouts. His prices are a lot better than I've seen anywhere else. I recently bought set of "Absolute" scales for another tool, and they're "absolutely" great!! The Absolutes have stainless steel bars, with a read head on them, plus a remote display/control module. He also sells iGaging brand scales, which have aluminum scale bars.

My research uncovered an interesting issue. I checked my digital x scale against the vernier on the longitudinal crank. .010 on the crank vernier registered .009 on my digital. The discrepancy was not linear, varying randomly at each 10-thousandth up to .050, which registered .047 on the digital. I can't think of a plan to figure which one is off.
Could be either:
* These digital scales are rated as something like +/- .001 because of their resolution, plus +/-.00X, which varies with distance. The aluminum scales have wider tolerance than the stainless, probably because aluminum expands/contracts more with temperature changes.
* On the other hand, there might be inaccuracies or wear in your leadscrew. I don't know what kind of machine you have (and don't want to insult them), but some Asian imports use metric leadscrews, with "approximately correct" verniers.

I once fixtured a new iGaging scale on the bed of my mini-mill and spindle. I compared the (LMS) DRO readings with those on the iGaging, every inch or so over about 10". Don't recall the exact numbers, but they seemed to disagree as much as +/- .002", with apparently random variations. The average error was around +/-.001".

As I don't do machining for a living, I'm not overly concerned with errors of that magnitude. Everything I've machined to date has worked out well. And I'm sure I'd end up making all kinds of mistakes if I had to go back to counting crank turns ;~)

Just made a threading tool out of a cut off tool. Lets me get very close to a shoulder and the chuck. Also its a lot more ridged than a normal HHS threading tool. The angle is set a little to the left but the center of the angle is parallel to the sides of the tool. It worked so well I think I will make a jig to sharpen it on the surface grinder.54904-fb204cb3d9a6e97e1001634bc4061420.jpg54905-c703f9b0f33732263f640543b49184fc.jpg54907-8584dade2319d349612fa283f320fb25.jpg54906-a3211feb9d01cab773d1a5954d36636b.jpg

Tee-hee!
Do you think this should be brought up on the changes and issues forum? Or just continue to be amused?

I'm a newcomer to this forum and I don't think it is my place to start right out asking for changes in the way things are done. This is one of the best forums I've participated in, I really like it here and don't want to wear out my welcome.
I can work around censorship, though in worlds that I control, I don't condone it.

John, I'm looking at DRO Pro's scales and they look indentical to the scales that Quality Tools (they call them Precision Mathews) and Little Machine Shop are selling. Copy says they are glass though I don't see any glass. The sensors slide on the edges and have the wire coming out laterally.

Tee-hee!
That's what the Shars scales look like. I got a response from Discount Machine (eBay seller), and just ordered a replacement 12" unit for ~$65, including shipping. Shars price is ~$63 before shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330386076372&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

DavidH (member of this forum) sells iGaging scales, which have remote readouts. His prices are a lot better than I've seen anywhere else. I recently bought set of "Absolute" scales for another tool, and they're "absolutely" great!! The Absolutes have stainless steel bars, with a read head on them, plus a remote display/control module. He also sells iGaging brand scales, which have aluminum scale bars.

IGaging scales look pretty nifty. I like that there isn't a single remote, but each individual scale has its own remote that can be ganged on a single bracket. I assume Absolute is the stainless version of iGaging scales.

I think my y-axis scale is deceased. New batteries and contact points cleaned first alcohol and then with acetone (after alcohol didn't work) do not fire it up.

My current non-working and almost never used heart-breaking scales look just like the Shars with the same connectors. I don't think I want any more of them.

Glass scales (the glass is inside an aluminum housing) are a definite step up from the iGaging/Absolute/Shars family of "capacitive vernier" (my own terminology) scales. They have much better resolution, and much lower (if any) thermal expansion issues. I've pretty much stayed with the cheaper scales, because they're comparable to the accuracy/precision of my tools. If I ever "graduate" to a Bridgeport or other "real" mill, or a large, good lathe, I'll definitely go for a higher quality DRO.

If you do some searching around the forum, you'll find that DRO Pros (as well as PM) are well respected people. I've dealt with LMS a number of times, and they're also great folks.

PS - I'm only funnin' about raising any kind of stink regarding verbiage. Mainly amused, because as I posted earlier, that one word used to be pretty common. Ah, well. No big whoop. As with you, I really like this forum and how it's run.

I've been informed that the issue of the word 'suck' has been resolved.

Thanks, John. That's good information. I have an order in with Quality Tools for my PM1127 and they've been very professional and helpful. Chris at LMS has also been very considerate and helpful in the past.

My mill is made in China for Grizzly. It is a G0619 which has performed very well for my purposes. It is considerably larger with more features than a mini-mill but still a manageable size and weight for my shop.

I contacted David and will most probably order a set of Absolute scales from him this weekend.

Ok, the deed is done. I shall be the proud new installer of an XY set of Absolute DROs next week. The saga of today's shop project continues.

I might add, I would have been stabbing in the dark without the help and advice of members of this group. I am so happy to be here!

Back