2015 POTD Thread Archive

Nicely done. I would call that an elegant solution. Mike

a friend came to my shop with a big emergency. He stripped a gear in his spit motor and can't cook his lamb this weekend, so I attempted to cut a new gear for him.

You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Saving somebody's cookout is indeed a noble enterprise. I sincerely hope you are rewarded with an invitation to dine with him!

Nicely done Mark. I bet your neighbour is grateful. The lamb probably wishes you were not so handy.LOL

I rolled the trailer outside and ran a DA over the whole thing to prep it for paint.
2uhon6a.jpg

xyss2.jpg

ztdfds.jpg

2w3t5yc.jpg

Next up is the nasty stuff, POR-15. I wear gloves and for this job I even layed down some plastic to protect my shop floor.
2aenj7p.jpg

Underside coated. I only covered the underside and the middle section that will have the wood decking covering the metal with the POR-15. The remainder of the trailer will be sprayed with an etching primer followed by a signle stage automotive urethane gloss black paint.
3313wjo.jpg

fjq6nk.jpg

I even brushed some POR-15 down inside the tail light boxes.
2s1lssk.jpg

Glad I had put down some plastic, otherwise this would be my shop floor.:shocking:
20hlv80.jpg

Lastly my new tongue box showed up last night.
25fha4j.jpg

Tonight I am going to get the box mounted then fabricate my spare tire mount on the right side of the frame. I would have really liked to have mounted my spare tire under the trailer but it just hung too low.

Hopefully over the weekend, weather permitting, I can get the topside painted and the next pictures will be of it all one color.

Mike.

Mike,
Your trailer is looking great.
If you're not already, please be aware that POR-15 will not hold up to UV exposure. This quote is from the POR15 .com "POR-15 is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be topcoated before prolonged exposure to sunlight." I believe that that UV exposure can be reflected as well as line-of sight, so for best results, topcoat all of the POR-15.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Technical-Information_ep_62.html

Mike,
Your trailer is looking great.
If you're not already, please be aware that POR-15 will not hold up to UV exposure. This quote is from the POR15 .com "POR-15 is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be topcoated before prolonged exposure to sunlight." I believe that that UV exposure can be reflected as well as line-of sight, so for best results, topcoat all of the POR-15.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Technical-Information_ep_62.html

Actually it will hold up fine as far as durability and corrosion protection. It is just the finish that goes "chalky" with extended exposure to UV.

I have been using POR-15 for well over 10 years now and I am surprised at how well it holds up in even some of the most harsh environment. If you look I have not put the POR-15 anywhere on the top side of the trailer, only the underside (with the exception of where the wood planks will be). The top side is getting a couple coats of etching primer followed by single stage urethane automotive paint so it will withstand the UV.

Mike.

Back