2015 POTD Thread Archive

I have two of those too, Cactus Farmer, but they're strictly manually operated.

When I got the gear out, it looked horrible. Every tooth was totally chewed in half. Some idiot must have engaged the feed lever and tapping half-nut simultaneously. I'm going to have to give him such a noogie that he'll never do it again.

There were four things on my 'to do' list today and I got two of them done, plus helping the new owner of my old lathe load it onto his pickup truck and wave bye-bye. Happily, he brought three strong young lads to do the heavy lifting so I got to give directions and advice without expenditure of muscular energy.

What I got done: Leveled the new lathe (sloping garage floor made it necessary to make some spacers) and put up an exterior antenna for the shop FM radio. These new solid-state fluorescent light ballasts put out a godawful bunch of broadband RF and made the radio unhappy, and I got tired of listening to the same 5 CDs.

Going to the machine tool show tomorrow in Portland - just to see what the new toys I can neither afford nor really need can do.

Zmotorsports-
Judging by those welds it appears your building a death trap!!
Kidding aside, they look great as per usual
When I get off work tomorrow I have a welding job on aluminum, it consists of welding 1" eighth wall to 7/8 block, about 8" long, the tube has been milled to a c shape, the best part is I only have 210amps available from my syncrowaves pedal. The customer was very happy with my test piece, maybe someday we may invest in helium to mix in, but for now the oven handles the preheat

Thanks. Although I have a Dynasty 300, I don't know if I have ever really had to push that much current through it. On thicker peices I have found some pre-heat works better at getting a nice uniform bead and penetration than just throwing more current at it. I think you will be fine with the Snychrowave. We have a Synchrowave 250 at work and it is a nice machine. That is what I was actually going to purchase back when I bought my Dynasty but I literally stumbled across this Dynasty for similar money so I snagged it. I love the Dynasty inverter machines.

Post up some pics of the completed job when your done. I would love to see them.

Mike.

I will post pics, I ended up getting the syncrowave 210, inverter, when it first came out. I really like it, it was between that and a dynasty 200 but for the home workshop, money was the deciding factor. Before I bought the Miller I was using an old Lincoln ideal arc 250/250 round top. On steel tig, it welded very very nice, aluminum it was doable but, quickly became evident I needed a foot pedal and high freq. I Was scratch starting the lincoln.

I will post pics, I ended up getting the syncrowave 210, inverter, when it first came out. I really like it, it was between that and a dynasty 200 but for the home workshop, money was the deciding factor. Before I bought the Miller I was using an old Lincoln ideal arc 250/250 round top. On steel tig, it welded very very nice, aluminum it was doable but, quickly became evident I needed a foot pedal and high freq. I Was scratch starting the lincoln.

Ya, I learned on an old scratch start Lincoln myself and I feel like I am using the Rolls Royce of welders after that.:)

Mike.

If you live in the "love your thief" state of Pennsylvania, you have to let them rob you and get away before a crime is committed and then the police come and say" what do you want us to do about it?". And never hit them or you go to jail for assault. You have to actually let them hurt you before you can defend yourself or " you started it and get arrested ".

My house got broke into last year and the state police came and started badgering me and trying to make it my fault some jerk robbed me. I told him to get out and that is why no one wants to call you as*******. I had to pay $150 fine for disturbing the peace. ( calling someone a derogatory name in public view). Now , that's justice.

That is just wrong. But I guess you should have got a little farther from the donkey before you said that.

Where I live, it's if they are in your house they are "fair game". I also have a good dog that is very protective of "HIS HOME".
Sharpei - Pit Bull Mix
Wife has a sign at front door that reads, " Ring the bell and run, Dog needs exercise"

View attachment 98750

Good lookin puppy!

Around here... inside the house is a no-no for criminals... and they know it. (If you only see their back-side... let them go. Legally works better for you).

Helps to be a member in good standing of the local groups that support the 2nd... One of them has a couple of well to do and influential atty's running it. :)

a friend came to my shop with a big emergency. He stripped a gear in his spit motor and can't cook his lamb this weekend, so I attempted to cut a new gear for him.
cutting gears.jpg I mounted his old gear on the end of a jig I had made to make the gear for my thread dial. the little lever is used to index the old gear and the blank is on the other end.
cutting gears2.jpg This is the other end with the blank on it. I put two blanks on and cut them together so he has a spare if he messes one up installing it.

gears for wolf.jpg These are the finished gears. They came out usable so everyone is happy.

Love your gear making setup

Love your gear making setup

It is crude but it works pretty good. It is just a steel block with a threaded rod through it and the blank goes on one end and the gear to copy on the other end. This gear had an 8 tooth section stripped out so when I got to it I stopped the mill with the cutter in the last finished tooth and indexed the bad gear to a good section and picked up again.

Back