2016 POTD Thread Archive

Only had a couple of hours of shop time yesterday so I decided to make new improved aluminum lever knobs for the lathe. I decided to make the spindle and 1/2 nut lever knobs slightly longer at 3". The carriage lock knob is slightly longer than original and the same length will be used for the remaining eight knobs. The remaining knobs will not be knurled but grooved instead. The three knobs I turned yesterday are knurled but different coarseness where used. The spinal knob has a fine knurl as this has the most contact with my hand. The 1/2 nut is a medium knurl and the carriage lock is corse. Really enjoy the 5C collet system for this type of work as well as the new spider that supports the 36" stock.
Turn and burn guys.
IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1595.JPG

Wife has been bugging me to create some shelves for the pantry in the camper…, so I finally got them completed today. Laid out the design in Fusion 360 - http://a360.co/1WbKcaI. Modeled the pantry, then just added the shelves, and side rails. Then laid out tool paths in Fusion 360 Cam, and posted to our CNC router. The router has been updated with Dawson Controls Machine Control system, so I had modify a post for Fusion in order to get the G-Code correct. It’s working pretty well, a few slight tweaks needed, but will get it dialed in. Shelves should work great!

26000203503_6f71f940b3_o.jpg 26577273406_8b7f970795_o.jpg panel_CAM_Layout.jpg pantry_shelves.jpg DC_controls.jpg 26330201010_c6f9f8b515_o.jpg

Due to the overwhelming response from you GREAT folks, this is becoming its own forum!

GOD BLESS YOU!!

Just when I was about to ask "where has the POTD thread gone?", I found it in its new home. Just like working in the shop and you go look for something "It's got to be here somewhere..."

pete

Yesterday, I machined a new handle for my 5C collet holder/closer. I had broken the other off when it was stuck and I used a hammer (embarassed) :oops: to rap it to see if I could loosen it. Only made of pot metal so naturally it broke. I made the new one from aluminum, no photos.
Also spent time degreasing the #00 collets I acquired recently. Some were gunked up fairly thick. Today I'll finish that and then degrease some of the other tools I have been needing to clean up.
O yea! Swept the shop floor and organized a few things too. I'll work some more on that today also.

Anytime in the shop/shed is good time.

Probably use the dividing head and the horizontal mill to cut the splines.

Jason

Are you going to use an involute cutter to cut the splines? There are a few of us who need to make spline drives, nice of you to be the guinea pig :)

I'll post updates when I do it, I'm on 7 12s now, so I haven't got that far yet.

Jason

I made a backstop for my archery target today. It's 4 pieces of 4' x 5' scrap carpet I picked up from the curb the other day.
The top holder is a couple sticks of 2x3 cedar fence rail sandwiched around the carpet with 3" screws from both sides.

I just have it hanging by rope right now from my little gantry. I'll probably make some hooks and chain for it eventually.

I couldn't figure out any way to use the machines on this project.

IMG_0925.JPG

Back