2016 POTD Thread Archive

E7018 = designed to be used with AC or DC reverse polarity (Electrode +) they have a low hydrogen base flux with iron powder added. It has a moderate penetration and a build up. These rods are very susceptible to moisture, which may lead to weld porosity. Commonly used for pipe, heavy sections of plate boiler work, and low temperature equipment.

I was able to sneak out to the shop yet again despite running on a few hours of sleep. The addiction is too powerful hehe.

I turned out eight yesterday to complete eleven total. Two of the eight are 3" long (tail stock) and the other six are 2.250". I ended up changing the tapper angle to 17º to keep it short and provide more flat surface for my paws to grab.
The process went a bit quicker than the first three I did a few days ago. I kept the compound set for the tapper for all operations saving time overall. I also faced and chamfered all eight as the last operation vs completing one 100% before starting the next. I opted to groove these vs knurling and really like the look and feel a lot. I might need to redo the first three knurled ones haha! The turning was done around 600 RPM and no real polishing needed as the inserts and aluminum played well at this speed.
Turn and burn gents.
Paco
IMG_1631.JPGIMG_1632.JPGIMG_1634.JPGIMG_1635.JPGIMG_1636.JPG

I also wanted to share with folks who where curious how accurate those tachometers from eBay are. I verified the RPM's using a digital laser Tach. For those of you not familiar with this tool, they are used for many applications and are fairly inexpensive. My neighbor loaned me his. He uses it to set up commercial sliding gates and such in high security areas that specify open/close times.
IMG_1614.JPG
A piece of reflective tape is used (cut small piece) on the surface your measuring and you point the laser dot holding steady and read the instrument once the number stabilizes.
I did two tests to verify RPM. A single piece of tape on the spider, then three pieces of tape dividing the larger number by three (more accurate reading).
Capturing the numbers on a digital read in a photo is tricky as not all numbers show up depending on angle of camera, but you'll get the picture.
The first test was done with one piece of tape reading 492 RPM on machine tach. The laser tach showed 491.9, so damn close.
IMG_1621.JPG IMG_1624.JPG
Then three pieces of tape (evenly spaced) revealed a 2 PRM discrepancy, so yea, these tachometers are pretty darn close.
IMG_1630.JPG
1459/3=486.333 RPM and the machine was reading 484 RPM (2 RPM difference).
IMG_1629.JPG
Not sure why some photos are upside down, but you all get the picture. I think for $10, the tach is a good buy.
I hope this was helpful to someone.

I love my tachometer. The exact same design is sold under many names. They all perform the same. I think I paid $12 for mine on Amazon. I'm not sure if it's a laser (I think it's an LED), but it works great even up to about 6 or 8 feet (I played with ceiling fan speeds when I first got it).

got a bunch of stuff at a garage sale last week. got around to looking at the shell cleaner i got. i knew there was some brass left in it but i wasn't expecting these big azzz rounds

IMG_9171.JPG

I made a backstop for my archery target today. It's 4 pieces of 4' x 5' scrap carpet I picked up from the curb the other day.
The top holder is a couple sticks of 2x3 cedar fence rail sandwiched around the carpet with 3" screws from both sides.

I just have it hanging by rope right now from my little gantry. I'll probably make some hooks and chain for it eventually.

I couldn't figure out any way to use the machines on this project.

View attachment 127692

That's a slick backstop, Franko! How well does it stop the arrows (that miss)?

Back