2016 POTD Thread Archive

I built this shop press in 1996 and have been putting up with the table adjust mechanism since then. I thought it was time to make a proper way to raise and lower the table. I started looking through my stuff and found an old tire rim (HF special), a couple of sprockets and piece of chain from a long forgotten project, and some cable. This is what turned out.
full sm.jpg
Mech sm.jpg

And the handle I made with my #3 ball turner.

Handle sm.jpg

The balls could have been a little larger but I didn't have any other material on hand.

Thanks for looking

Ray

I like it Ray.

I have a HF 20T that is screaming for something like this.

Looks very nice. I think I would want to add a ratchet stop in case it got away from me. That would do your knuckles a world of hurt if it did.

plus one on what Tony said. it hurts when you get whacked by something like that .

Your both right I will have to think about that.

Thanks to all

I need to build something like that for mine. It's a home brew, and I should be able to scrounge up something. How about a boat winch? Anyone rig one up like that?

I need to build something like that for mine. It's a home brew, and I should be able to scrounge up something. How about a boat winch? Anyone rig one up like that?

I was just thinking the exact same thing for my HF20T. I even have a couple of trailer winches laying around.

I was grinding lathe tools today to have some ready at hand and needed to dress the wheels on my bench grinder that is dedicated for tool grinding. I have a diamond dresser but no way to hold it accurately. I got an aluminum block from my scrap box, milled a step on one side and drilled a blind hole for the diamond. I then drilled and tapped the back of the blind hole for a 10-32 SHCS. I put a thumb screw on top to lock the diamond.
image.jpeg I put the step against the tool rest and slide it across the wheel. image.jpeg By turning the SHCS a little, it pushes the diamond out a little and the thumb screw locks it. It works great and only took about 20 minutes to make. Now my wheels are perfectly square.

Today I am going to drill and plumb my brewing tuns and boil kettles. Make a batch of Mai Bock home brew and continue cleaning my rats nest of a workshop. I swear I will never ever let it get like this ever again. It's the first time I let it get like this and it has taken me 3 years to get it cleaned up and straightened out to a point that the machines and stuff are just barely accesable. I got no excuse, I should have out everything away properly before I left for Iraq and I wouldn't be having such a mess to pick up now. I did leave the country in sort of a hurry, but that is still no excuse for being lazy for 3 years since I got back..... I know, I'm a toad and deserve a swift kick in the pants for letting it go so long.

Bob
Thank you for your service

Tony, I used a cheap HF boat winch on mine. Made the pulleys out of 4" aluminum round stock. Works well, and didn't cost much at all.

Back