2016 POTD Thread Archive

Your right Tony, the two don't mix, when I built this shop the ground floor machine shop is totally sealed from the cabinet shop above, don't even have an inside stairway between them. Between the two I supplement my income, in this area there's some machine work but probably could drum up more furniture business. I dry my lumber in an open front shed. Softwood will dry in about a year hardwoods 2 to 3. Great selling point when you can show clients their future furniture in a pile of rough lumber beside the mill that cut it.

Greg

Gas gauge reads empty but the tank is full. Well there is the problem. Float doesn't want to float. Look closely you can see it is filled with gas.
DSCF1260_zpsya3ebvoy.jpg

Had a float like that in one of the three carbs on my outboard really created a problem at Lake Powel. Got towed into Halls Crossing the problem ended the fun, would like to go back.

I needed gaskets out of some PTFE gasket material. The material works great for this application, but it's gummy stuff that's best cut with punches. I have a nice Matco punch set, but I need one size larger than the largest punch.

A few years ago, I had to spend a long time getting just one somewhat adequate gasket cut with a modeler's knife and a circle cutter. I also made quite a few duds. Fast-forward a few years, now it's just easier to make the punch I need on the lathe. The first gasket made was a winner.

Having machinery is so liberating! :D

punch_1.jpg

Remember then floats were copper, 70 plus years and still going, I had a 1909 THOR motorcycle that had a stainless steel float in the card, remember plastic is for child toys only.

Back