2016 POTD Thread Archive

Made an angled cutter boring bar. I already had the bar with a bit at 90 degrees but it left too large a section of unbored hole so I added this bit to the other end.
boring-bar2.jpg
The bit is not optimally ground but seems to work, old broken centre bit re-purposed.
boring-bar3.jpg
so I could bore to a flat ended hole.
boring-bar4.jpg
Not perfectly flat at the end but good enough for me.
35mm dia hole, to be threaded 39x4mm with a 10mm wide registration at the front.
I will grind a new bit to make the thread run out at the bottom of the hole.

Looks great, but for some of us old guys mounting tooling that low wouldn't be a viable option. Haven't tried the HF boxes yet, but plan on it once I start moving into the new space. The JD sounds like a fun project. Mike

Yesterday I went over to Brookfield to get a drill press I saw on Craigslist. It's a small table top model made in Taiwan that I'd guess was made in the early 1990s. The date on the motor is 1991. It looks like it was hardly ever used and it was missing the chuck key. It cleaned up pretty well.

So now I've got everything together to give my daughter and son-in-law for their new house: table saw, band saw, scroll saw, wood lathe, drill press, bench vise, bench grinder, and tool box. I'll probably throw in a $100 HF gift card and a 20% off coupon.

Unless I can find a good deal on a router... I've got plenty of unused spare router bits. Mostly bought 'em at yard sales from people that were full of good intentions.

I've been doing mostly woodworking in my shop because of the heat. I move around the shop when woodworking, so i mind the heat less, and the machines like it more because i'm not dripping all over them. o_O

IMG_0492.JPG

Here is what I done with one of mine from HF. Ignore the clutter on the bench top. I can at least see the top :frog:

I had a brand new 3" lathe chuck lying around the shop so I decided to make use of it.
image.jpeg I machined a back plate from a piece of 4" diameter round cast iron. Boy, this stuff machines nice.

image.jpeg The three inch chuck fits the register I machined on the back plate.

image.jpeg Three 1/4-28 SHCS hold the chuck on the back plate. I had no transfer screws to accurately locate the holes , so I made one from a SHCS that I cut the head off of. I chucked it in my cordless drill and ran it against my belt sander. This made the sharp pointed screw on the left. I screwed it in one hole of the chuck as far as possible leaving about two threads sticking out so I could grasp it to remove it. I put the chuck on the register and tapped the side held up by the screw to mark the first hole. I center punched it , center drilled it , and drilled it to .250".
I started a screw in this hole and into the chuck. Tapped the side held up by the screw point and repeated the process until all three holes were drilled. They came out in perfect alignment. That is how to lay out a bolt circle when you don't have the means to accomplish the task. IMPROVISE!

image.jpeg The finished piece of tooling.

image.jpeg It fits on my lathe.

image.jpeg It fits on the 4" rotary table I made.

And it fits on my dividing head.

I can also clamp it onto the mill table or drill press table. This little chuck now fits on ALL my machines.

It has an extra set of reversed jaws to grip ID

Back