2016 POTD Thread Archive

pstemari Now I see what you are talking about on warp. I only have a few AXA ones but need to make something as I have already ordered more, (tool Junkie)
Have looked at a couple and still trying to decide how to set it up.

Yeah, clamping it until it cooled helped a bit. I could probably have gotten away with only doing tack welds on the tabs, which would have prevented it entirely.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I almost finished making my chuck back out of a barbell weight. I haven't drilled and tapped the holes to screw it to the chuck yet.

Anyway, pictures.

weights 1 s.jpg back 0 s.jpg

back 1 s.jpg back 2 s.jpg

back 4 s.jpg

As I said, I haven't drilled the holes for the backplate yet. The chuck is friction fit on the 3/16" boss for this picture.

That's pretty good for me. Seriously, I was surprised.

Last edited:
Tom, you ever come up with a 0.1250 reamer? Is that the exact size you need?

Tom, I have many extra reamers in many many sizes. Do you need an undersize for press fit ? An on size for a tap fit ? or an oversize for a slip fit ? I can send you one you can keep if I have what you need.

Ok, I like the old barbell weight but I do not think they make one thick enough for mine, I need one at least 1 1/2 inches thick but more like 2 for room to machine etc. Was going to use CRL but not sure I want to since reading a few articles or CRL warping etc after machining.

I almost finished making my chuck back out of a barbell weight

How did you find the barbell to machine? I tried to do the same awhile back and found the rubbish it had been cast out of totally un-machinable - actually had sparks coming off the lathe tool. I had planned to try annealing it to soften it up and trying again, but never got around to it and just brought a drop of 6" dia Cast Iron instead.

Last edited:
How did you find the barbell to machine?

Messy but not difficult. You can see some of the gray dust it produced in the picture of the chuck. I used HSS end mills to get to bare metal on the front, a carbide insert tool to thread it, and braised carbide tools to turn it.

I should say that I bought these weights over twenty years ago. Even so, some were made in China. You can see the difference in the first picture. The one I machined was made in Canada.

I plan on leaving the back the way it is. I think it'll be a curiosity to somebody in the future.

Tom, you ever come up with a 0.1250 reamer? Is that the exact size you need?

No, and no. I'm mounting the gear on a piece of 1/8 wire, it varies by a couple of thou. By the time I get around to installing the gear, it has a hook on one end, close enough to preclude putting it in the lathe to polish. I expect I'll learn to polish it before putting the hook on. If I had a .127 reamer that would do the trick. Its not like I'm in high production, in the past 4 months we've sold two units.

Back