2016 POTD Thread Archive

When my wife and I were on vacation in NW Montana a few weeks back I had my main battery short out in our Jeep. I installed an Optima Yellow Top from a NAPA store while I was there and decided I would replace my auxiliary battery now to match so they would be matched.

I am sure this installation was overkill but hey, overkill is under-rated. I wanted to be able to keep the handles on the batteries because they are hard to install/remove as is and without a handle it would be nearly impossible as they are shoe-horned in there as is with my dual battery tray and setup. The Optima battery handles easily slip off out of the groove, however, then I would have to store them somewhere and more importantly remember where they were when I needed them. I figured it was just easier to leave the handles on the batteries and fabricate a spacer to span across the handle.

I cut two pieces of 2" wide by 1" thick 6061 aluminum that I had on the rack each @ 4" in length. I then clamped each one in the mill vise and began machining. I started by finding center in both X and Y directions.
2u5faz8.jpg

Next up was to cut a slot for the handle to reside which was 1" in width and .5" deep.
2r5vpu1.jpg

After the groove/slot in the bottom was completed I flipped the parts over to machine the top side. I was almost going to just leave them and place the hold-down across the top but then my son gave me a great idea of milling a slot that was just wide enough and deep enough for the hold down to fit in and the cut would act as a locator. Great idea son. Here I started cutting the .125" deep groove lengthwise in the block.
34sfo6c.jpg

Here is the top slot nearly completed. The two small tabs remaining on the sides will act as locating ribs and the hold down bracket will sit flush with them as they straddle the battery handles.
wao742.jpg

Blocks completed.
10qjjnc.jpg

Test fitting them on the batteries.
33bgxu0.jpg

Installation completed.
29cw9ah.jpg

Hey I know, way overkill but I wanted to use my mill last night and this was my opportunity. Besides I guarantee it is unique.:D

Mike.

Tom,
I thought I had a couple extra 1/8 over and under but all I could find is a .1245. I thought I had more than I found so will keep looking. If I hadn't straightened out my shop I probably would have found them all.

When my wife and I were on vacation in NW Montana a few weeks back I had my main battery short out in our Jeep. I installed an Optima Yellow Top from a NAPA store while I was there and decided I would replace my auxiliary battery now to match so they would be matched.

I am sure this installation was overkill but hey, overkill is under-rated. I wanted to be able to keep the handles on the batteries because they are hard to install/remove as is and without a handle it would be nearly impossible as they are shoe-horned in there as is with my dual battery tray and setup. The Optima battery handles easily slip off out of the groove, however, then I would have to store them somewhere and more importantly remember where they were when I needed them. I figured it was just easier to leave the handles on the batteries and fabricate a spacer to span across the handle.

I cut two pieces of 2" wide by 1" thick 6061 aluminum that I had on the rack each @ 4" in length. I then clamped each one in the mill vise and began machining. I started by finding center in both X and Y directions.
2u5faz8.jpg

Next up was to cut a slot for the handle to reside which was 1" in width and .5" deep.
2r5vpu1.jpg

After the groove/slot in the bottom was completed I flipped the parts over to machine the top side. I was almost going to just leave them and place the hold-down across the top but then my son gave me a great idea of milling a slot that was just wide enough and deep enough for the hold down to fit in and the cut would act as a locator. Great idea son. Here I started cutting the .125" deep groove lengthwise in the block.
34sfo6c.jpg

Here is the top slot nearly completed. The two small tabs remaining on the sides will act as locating ribs and the hold down bracket will sit flush with them as they straddle the battery handles.
wao742.jpg

Blocks completed.
10qjjnc.jpg

Test fitting them on the batteries.
33bgxu0.jpg

Installation completed.
29cw9ah.jpg

Hey I know, way overkill but I wanted to use my mill last night and this was my opportunity. Besides I guarantee it is unique.:D

Mike.
You might consider anodizing or painting those. I'd be a bit concerned about dropping one while changing batteries and accidentally shorting the battery out. Depends on how long they are, I suppose.

Actually, dipping them in plastic coating might be a perfect solution. That would also protect the battery from sharp edges.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tom, I'll look, but kind of doubt I'll have the 0.1270. Perhaps a 0.1260, but that's probably as close as I can get.

You might consider anodizing or painting those. I'd be a bit concerned about dropping one while changing batteries and accidentally shorting the battery out. Depends on how long they are, I suppose.

Actually, dipping them in plastic coating might be a perfect solution. That would also protect the battery from sharp edges.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

No offense I would be more concerned about dropping a wrench or something around a battery than a 4" aluminum block that can't reach across both terminals at the same time or with all of the rubber hoses/wiring around probably couldn't hit the positive terminal and a good ground if you tried. You actually have to dig and move things to even get to the damn batteries.

As for coating, I will get them powder coated on the next lot I send out, I had to get these done due to needing the Jeep soon.

Mike.

No offense I would be more concerned about dropping a wrench or something around a battery than a 4" aluminum block that can't reach across both terminals ...

Yeah, wasn't sure how long those blocks were.

I turned some brass washers for my current rotary table. For some reason the 4 jaw chuck has some 'wiggle room' even when properly tightened all the way to the adapter. I found out the hard way the first time I used it to mill some steel and the tool caught and ripped into the piece pulling the chuck upward just slightly. Maybe 1/16"

5/8" brass rod chucked up and center drilled 7/32"
image.jpeg

After cleanup and next to the machine screw it will be used on. The washers are approx. 1/8" thick.
image.jpeg

Before and after. Yes it raised the head of the screw just over the height of the adapter plate to mount the chuck to the table.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And lastly the hunk of brass I'll be milling out.
image.jpeg

Back