2016 POTD Thread Archive

Talk of battery shorting out, I use to have a 1965 FJ40 Land Cruiser, the battery cable ran through the frame, Well, I went TDY somewhere and left the ife in Alaska, I get a call that the thing blew up. well when I got back , It was the battery that blew up and I mean blew up. The pos cable rubed on the frame and shorted out, It blew Battery pars and Acid all over the underside of the hood, engine, breather etc. Bow was that fun, I was gone for another week after It happened so I had a week to eat away at paint and everything. Use a bag of baking soda and water mix to kill off all the acid, then a good pressure wash and repaint a bunch. She said it scared the _____out of here when it blew. My daughter did not want to ride in it for a long time.

I had a customer come into the garage I worked at with steam or smoke pouring out from under the hood. I opened the hood expecting to find a split radiator hose, and found a huge truck battery spewing steam! To say I got away from it fast was an understatement! Didn't blow luckily.

Finally finished another little finger engine last night, this one a twin-rod horizontal of my own design. I don't know why I like these stupid things -- they're absolutely useless other than for table art -- but I still feel compelled to play with them. This one took an embarrassingly long time to finish but, well, stuff happened along the way.

Not quite as fast a runner as a single is, but that might be due to my inexperience with the twin rods. A bit more challenging to get things synced up just right, which I still am not satisfied with. Ah well, next one... .

-frank

image.jpeg image.jpeg

How do those work—you tap the key and the wheels spin?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

How do those work—you tap the key and the wheels spin?

Yup, that's the idea. It's a lot like trying to tap your finger in time to a faucet dripping, I guess. Once you get the rhythm it works really well. My sister can really make my single wheel one fly!

-frank

I started thinking about making a mechanical weed puller....then thought .. well let's see what may be on you tube...

this one caught my eye...it was dang close to the idea I had....so I went out to my shop to see what kind of scraps I had....

this is what came out of the shop with me...

stainless mechanism...4 ft aluminum handle...you are looking at it as it stands...added bonus it holds it's self up..lol...didn't even try for that..

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

Very elegant curves!

Very elegant curves!

I've held on to those curved pieces for about 15 years..always figured they would make good handles someday..lol...(I do have a few more;-)...)

1/8" wall btw

Why don't you just buy the .1270 reamer? Contact cgs tool, they make carbide reamers..... USA!
I've been gone for awhile, can you point me in the direction to see what your selling?
I myself have ventured I to custom knife making, I'll share some progress with yall a little later.

Back