2016 POTD Thread Archive

I'm thinking that those are heads for boring bars, likely de-vibe bars for a lathe. I have a couple of them for a 1-1/2" bar, and one for a 4" bar.

That's an odd angle for a boring bar though.

Tony,

That head s used for facing off a work piece. The higher end turning/milling centers have tool holding blocks that use the HSK style tooling like this. And you probably know, they also have milling spindles with the same taper, too. I think this style is not as popular as the old traditional 40 or 50 taper is.
These are used with the machines that handle upward toward 50 plus tools in the tool carousels.

Ken

That's an odd angle for a hiring bar though.[/QUOTE]
It actually looks like it would make a better fly cutter than a boring bar.

I recognize it now. I didn't notice the groove in that flange. That's how the tool magazine holds onto it. And the taper I didn't see. lol, guess I need to start wearing my glasses when I look at the pictures.

And I agree.....should make a decent fly cutter. Not my favorite tool, but have their uses.

That's why I referred to it as an insert head. The ebay seller listed them as boring heads, but they sure look like fly cutters to me.

They are turning heads for modular tooling systems used on high end CNC machining centers. Nothing to do with boring bars.

KEn

Yep, my mind immediately jumped to that because of the (at a glance) similarity to a Sandvik devibe system I have. Well, I have the heads and drawbar for. I haven't gundrilled the main bar. Where I got the heads and drawbar (it was a spare) the bar got all mangled up so the rest got set aside and I grabbed it. I just hate drilling deep holes. Guess I don't have to have a 36" 1-1/2" bar though lol.

Another quick and extremely simple project, rather boring in comparison to most other posts in here. The logo plate on the bottom of my SBE 1 has always been missing so I decided to turn one out of brass. There is a boss on the back of the plate locating it in the hole in the hand grip. The radial design was experimental and looks better in person.
benelli grip plate before.jpg benelli grip plate after.jpg

I cut some wine bottles to make globes for a lamp I was working on for the number two daughter. Been working on it for some time but since she just had the baby and we're going up soon to see her. Well...I just had to finish it. Watched all the YouTube videos on how to cut glass and none of them worked 100% of the time and since I had only 8 bottles and I needed 8 bottles I needed it to be fairly certain to work 100% of the time.

Got the tile saw out and went to cutting. Almost perfect cuts (for what I was doing). A touch up on the ceramic belt and "WALLY!" I had globes. Spent the rest of the time trying to figure how to center them and keep them that way. Count on the wife, She said "Just use some jar lids and glue them in under the bulbs." Duh! Worked like a charm. I knew there was a reason I married that woman.

Back