2016 POTD Thread Archive

I couldn't find a big enough piece of metal I was willing to part with to replace the mag base for the holder I showed in my last post. So I decided to keep it on the mag base until I find one.

That meant that the indicator holder I took off it had no base. I have an aluminum c-clamp that I was using as a micrometer holder. I decided to use that. But then I had no holder for my micrometer.

I got an idea. I got these things that folks here told me were Lovejoy couplings last year in a tool lot. I figured out how to make a stand from one of them:

mic stand 1 s.jpg

That freed up the clamp for this:

dial clamp 1 s.jpg dial clamp 2 s.jpg

And now they both have a home.

POTD was helping my 80-year old dad and stroke victim make the awkward transition from the top of his deer/turkey blind's stairs to the blind itself. Longest 4-foot journey of his life; he works his way around the blind railing to the door, then hangs on the window sills to get to his seat. Time to help him out and work the problem.

Made some easily removable railing extensions that bridge the gap between the top of the stairs and into the blind. Brackets are machined 1/2" thick aluminum, pins are stainless steel. Should help a ton getting him into his seat. Deer season (bow) in Michigan starts 10/1, nothing like waiting until the last second to get a project done . . .

Bruce

View attachment 135998 View attachment 136003 View attachment 136004 View attachment 136005 View attachment 136006 View attachment 136007 View attachment 136008

Bruce- Outstanding job-you're a wonderful son...keep your dad active and hunting as long as you can!

Bruce- Outstanding job-you're a wonderful son...keep your dad active and hunting as long as you can!
Thanks for the compliment! He really loves getting out. Next improvement will likely be a powered cart to get him up the stairs. Probably a HF 12V ATV hoist hooked to a seat. I'll have to widen the stairs going up and it'll be a lot of work, but I owe him . . . Below is a picture of us after the spring Turkey season in 2009. Two jakes walked in and we shot a double. I'm left handed and sit on the left side of the blind, he's a rightie. Did the 3, 2, 1, boom countdown. My mom said he'd be sitting in their house a year later and start chuckling. "What are you laughing at?". Oh, Bruce and me shooting those two turkeys!

Bruce

upload_2016-9-15_21-52-45.png

Yesterday I got around to creating an organizer for my ER20 collets. Several times today I needed a collet and it was nice to not have to rummage through a pile of collets looking for the right one.

20160914_175733_zpsgflxu0tz.jpg
Having the decimal sizes makes it nice to find the right collet for a #21 drill bit. But it takes some thought to figure out where it goes when it comes time to put the collet back. Need to give this a bit more thought....

Yesterday I got around to creating an organizer for my ER20 collets. Several times today I needed a collet and it was nice to not have to rummage through a pile of collets looking for the right one.

20160914_175733_zpsgflxu0tz.jpg
Having the decimal sizes makes it nice to find the right collet for a #21 drill bit. But it takes some thought to figure out where it goes when it comes time to put the collet back. Need to give this a bit more thought....

I need to do that with mine. I have the common fractional sizes plus a set of mm sizes.

I assume the problem is mentally converting the fraction on the collet to the decimal on the board? Why don't you put both on the board? After a few times, you will find that you remember the conversion.

I helped a friend (co-worker) pull off his F-350 truck bed to repair some damage sustained by previous owner. Bob (my friend) just purchased this truck form a guy in pheonix about two weeks ago. It appears the guy was hauling something longer than the bed and backed into something stationary resulting in pushing the beds forward bulkhead into the cab. The cab wasn't too bad but the bed separated at the spot weld seam (along the bottom seam) and also created a pretty good bow along the entire top rail of said bulkhead. The previous owner had thrown down a big floor mat concealing the separation and was asking $29K for the 2008 F-350 6.4 power stroke with 100K miles. Bob noticed the forward bulkhead bow and pull back the bed matt and saw the drive line through the ripped seam and offered the guy $27K. The guy jumped on it and I jumped on the repairs for Bob.
It went fairly smooth with the exception of one stubborn T-50 bolt (drivers side front). I had presoaked all eight bed bolts but could not access this particular bolt as the fuel tank was directly below this bolt. I removed the rest of the bed bolts before increasing the the impact to#5 for the last bolt and broke the only two T-50 I had. I cut the head off with a 5" cutoff wheel. I had just bought four of these wheels and was curious how well they would work as they are only .040" thick. It worked well and the bed came off without issue.
IMG_0106.JPG
We set the bed on four horses and began to massage the damage and close up the seam. He plans on Rhino lining the bed once all is done and it should be hard to notice.
I should add the bow was pulled back prior to removing the bed. I used the fork lift as an anchor and ran two 2" webbing straps and a chain come-along and pulled the top rail back in-place.
The cabs damage was minimal but had paint chafing from contacting the bed. Cleaned up and sprayed some white paint for corrosion control.
IMG_0109.JPG
Now we had to remove that stubborn bolt (stud now after cutting the head off). Now I had access to the threads and soaked it with PB Blaster but large vise grips would not bight on the harder stud. I covered the fuel tank with a fire blanket and welded a 1-1/8" nut to the stud and used a large socket with the impact at 125 psi and set to #5. The heat generated by the plug weld was a big help.
The stud removed.
IMG_0111.JPG
The back side of bed after closing the ripped seam and re-spot welding (plug weld).
IMG_0108.JPG
Once the bed is back on he would not have access to the frame rail to install the new capture nut with the fuel tank in the way, so we used a nut plate and bolt from a rear mount that provided full access to frame rail after the fact. He will need to pick up a new nut/bolt from dealer.
Job was completed in four hours (including running to town for a new T-50).

I then painted Mark's (mksj) new mill rolling base. Its a dark grey hammer tone finish and should look nice with his light grey mill.
IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0104.JPG
The real take away is the technique to deal with frozen or broken fasteners, many times folks turn to drilling out said fasteners, but when you have enough to work with, remember the welding/ nut trick.

Another good day and even better with my son by my side.

Turn and burn
Paco

Last edited by a moderator:
Needed a 1/8” hex cutter for my rotary broach, so I made one. Ground it down to 0.1265” across the flats. Broached the hex from a round hole and the Allen wrench fits like a glove. To make the cutter. I used a Unimat dividing head mounted on a plate that has a 2° tilt. Then surface ground the HSS blank. I’m not a big fan of the Unimat and or its accessories, but this little dividing head does work well for this job…Dave.
broach.JPG
broach1.JPG

A little project that's running the finishing passes right now, and an interesting exercise in creative work holding. The goal here is to cut a profile on this 1020 steel slug. 2 inch dia, 1 inch thick.

First I cut a chunk of 2 inch aluminum round stock to use as a base. Faced the ends, then to the RT because I have to flip it horizontal for the last operations. Drilled & tapped two 10-24 mount holes to hold the part during machining.

Cut the slug and faced the ends. Now how to hold it on top of the base while facing the top and drilling the mount holes? :confused:

upload_2016-9-16_20-14-32.png

Since both pieces are the same diameter, how about a hose clamp and a strip of emery cloth?

Yeah.....That works!:)
upload_2016-9-16_20-17-23.png

First face the top, about 0.005 DOC, so not taking a big bite. I faced it in the lathe to 1.005 thick. Wouldn't want to take a very big bite with this setup, even though I can't move it by hand.:cautious:

upload_2016-9-16_20-19-31.png

Now it's anchored down and I can pour the coal to her.
upload_2016-9-16_20-21-55.png

1/2 inch, 4 flute, roughing end mill, 1.030 DOC, 0.050 width of cut except at the notch which is full width, 5 IPM, 95 FPM cutting speed. It's actually running in the picture, the camera flash ''stopped'' the spindle. 5 passes cut it down to 1.520 dia. Ready for the finishing cuts with the solid carbide router bit. The two 10-24 cap screws are holding just fine.:)

upload_2016-9-16_20-29-23.png

Once this is finished, then I'll flip it over and do the rest of the work on the 4th axis.

....I was going to work on software for Alloy's Shizuoka, but I let the computer connect to the network, and Windows 10 has been updating for the last 2 hours. I hate computers:mad: I'll get to that project in a bit, I hope.
I make it a point to never let Windows update when it wants to.

Several years back, I was traveling to California on business and I shut down the company laptop in anticipation of a boarding call. The computer started downloading an update with the usual warning "Update in progress. Do not shut your computer off." I waited until the final boarding call but the computer was still downloading. I boarded and finally had to shut the computer down as the cabin doors were shutting and we were preparing for takeoff. At a layover in Minneapolis, I had some time and decided to attempt the update. There was a bit of fumbling but I finally got it done.

Nowadays, I wait until I know that I have several houurs of other preoccupations before I initiate an update.

Back